Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thoughts on 2nd hand Sony KP61PS2

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by mattsimis, Sep 12, 2003.

1. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I posted a similar thread about a Plasma screen on the Plasma board, but the deal fell through :(. The same day a guy who I spoke to the week before about his 61" Monster RPTV rang me again with a new offer.

He lives about 15min away and is leaving the country (so he says). Last week he wanted €4700 (thats Euro) for his KP61PS2 for , today he said he is desperate and offered it for €3000 (Ill convert this one for you, £2112). Its a damn shame the Sony RPTVs dont appear to offer component, PS or HDTV, things I really wanted in a new screen.

However, the PS2 series appeared well regarded here and I am tempted by the sheer size. Here in Ireland, a new LG 42" (DLP I believe?) 42" RPTV is €2999, so its far to say for my 3k I could get either the 2nd hand 61" [and 4:3] PS2 or a new LG 42".

Removing warranty and "newness" concerns, what would you do?

Matt

PS: AFAIK, he claimed the screen is only 6mths old.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's pretty expensive. You can buy a brand new Toshiba 57WH36P £1700. This offers Component, 100hz, DFS, PAL & NTSC Progressive scan. 57" Widescreen, CRT.

RPTV's were very expensive a few years ago, but they're dropped right down. The new price holds no relevance considering what's on offer today.

Is that RP LCD or CRT? - if it's LCD it (could) need a new bulb, or dead/lit pixels. If it's CRT it (could) have screenburn or the tubes might be heavily used...depends on the contrast level and if it's been left on a logoed channel.

It'll probably need a good clean (LCD/CRT RP) and probably re-focusing/converging - especially being jolted in transit.

[edit] just did a search- it's CRT. It's 4:3 though :thumbsdow

3. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Its extremely hard to find good retailers in Ireland. I havent seen that Toshiba anywhere. The biggest Toshiba Ive seen here is from: http://www.powercity.ie/cgi-bin/tktdis.cgi?50VJ2

Its a cheap and nasty retailer of all electrical goods. That model is also 4:3, offers component, but no progressive it would appear.
    Im going to have to wander around a bit this weekend, get a feel for RPTV prices again.

Matt

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh no, dont require 4:3 or anything, simply posting whats available to me here.. 4:3 just keeps popping up.

When it gets this big, Im not as pushed for WS as I would be on a smaller screen, but WS is my preference.

Thanks again for the feedback however.

That Toshiba seems hard to find, are there any other models\brands that offer PS, Component etc?

Matt

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently Panasonic's. But what I've read about them puts me off.

Really if you're looking at CRT Rear Projection the best manu. are Toshiba and Sony. You could buy a lesser range - Thomson, etc. Since Sony lack Component inputs they've been left behind. Daft as Toshiba RP's have had Component inputs for years.

I would not even consider a 4:3 set, even it's a huge 61". When you're watching widescreen film (2:35) the borders will be huge. Basically you're just projecting a large area of black. Widescreen RP's will still have black borders (on 2:35 films), but they'll be much smaller. You'll also loose the Anamorphic resoultion- you REALLY don't want to do that. Unless the 4:3 TV has the squash button (in which case you set the DVD player to widescreen TV)

7. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn you Nathan! Ive been looking for the 57WH36P\51WH36P since I first heard about it from you. Sounds like it would fit the bill nicely but.. cant find it anywhere. Harvey Norman (the Aussie chain, just opened here, they have a bigger range by far compared to the likes of Currys) told me the very latest Toshiba is the 57WH18 and they cant get and never heard of the WH36's. I told them they were new, they told me that no, the WH18 is "only new".

Can anyone confirm actually seeing them in Currys? If so, how much (£)?

I checked out Unbeatable and sent a mail anyhow, but seems unlikely they can ship to Ireland (I would imagine). Other retailers outright state they only ship to the UK. :(

Matt

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I found the WH18 models- I think they're European sets, as the larger Dolby Digital sold in the UK are are xxWTxx series.

CLICK HERE

I guess Ireland gets the European versions. Check Toshiba Germany for RP's

http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/default.htm

Hotlinking doesn't work, Java. Click on "Produkte" then "TOSHIVISION Grossbild TV" You will see the current UK models and the European versions, plus the new xx36xx range.

9. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am from southern Ireland, now living in the Uk. What we used to do was order goods from the Uk and get them delivered to the local petrol station in Norhern Ireland.

10. docfeelgood

docfeelgood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice chap in Curries told me they would have a WH36 in before the end of this month.

They had one in that had the new (very nice) cabinet which the WH also has..... but it was a different (50hz) model.

11. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    LOL, Southern Ireland eh? Wheres that then? :rolleyes: :D

Matt

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely he means EIRE?

My geography is rubbish, and I didn't take geography in school so please correct me if I'm wrong.

btw- which girls are prettier, those from NI or EIRE? :O)

13. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Thats whats amusing talking to UKish folks, there is no such place as southern ireland. It would be like calling a country beside South Africa, "Northern Africa". Saying Eire is a bit iffy too, the name of the country culturally and physically located closest in the world to the UK is The Republic of Ireland.

You guys must have really got to him if hes calling it southern Ireland now too! ;)

Matt

PS: In regards to your question, on an island of handsome devils, its too close to call!

14. acucobol

acucobol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been here 7 years now - I have been assimilated!!!

I take it you do not live near the border, as the petrol station gag is well known. Ordered many an item that way and saved many punts/euros.