1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts having demo-ed my first 2 projectors..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jimbobuk, Feb 25, 2003.

1. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Well i went to look at some projectors today to fuel my insatiable appetite for info on these darned things...

I had 2 hifi shops to look at, in the end i only went to one... as they handily had both types of projectors that i could see... the 2 units i saw were as follows

i) Sony HS1
    ii) Sim2 DLP model (about £4000 i think)

I saw them in this order in the main room of the shop.. i took gladiator with me to look at rainbows.... the guy tried to cut out the light but never quite managed to do it totally which really punished the projectors a little... obviously the Sony struggled more than the Sim in this respect...

I got a good taste though i think, and am thirsty for more :) the Sony was pretty good... I think i could be happy with it... i assume its performance would improve in a nicely darkened room... it was about 13-14 feet from the screen so was projecting bigger than i plan to... on an old but reasonable permanent screen... it was good... I think this model is 4:3 !?!? not particularly suited to DVDs... the letterboxing was clear... on the OSD later i managed to see the pixels and was then able to step back till that was no longer an issue... I found it to be about where the projector was.. I don't know what throw ratio its got but I assume its close to the Z1 in that its better suited having the projector in front of the viewer.. having not seen many projectors i don't know if the Sony has bad screendoor or not... further back screendoor/pixels werent a problem but i COULD see horizontal scan lines... almost like looking at a tv too close... even perhaps an NTSC screen... this effect was more visible at some times than others...

At this point i'd appreciate some peoples comments on how the H1 compares to the newer collection of machines like i am looking at.. namely the Z1, or the panasonic 300u... on all levels this will be nice to know...

One plus on the Sony was that its fan volume was VERY VERY good... nice and quiet... i'll be looking up for its quoted db rating so i can see how others i am looking at compare...

If the newer models are brighter, more colourful, more resolution (native 16:9 has to help on this kind of material!??), less screendoor, fewer horizontal scan lines then i think i'll definately be very happy...

Onto the Sim2, a machine/manufacturer i've always wanted to see since reading rave magazine reviews on their DLP projectors... if I can see rainbows on this puppy then i know definately that budget, and budget-budget models are not for me... thats what i thought anyways...

Didn't have a long audition, but to be honest... dissapointed... its improvements over the Sony was clear... yet not 4x the cost clear.... more contrast.. more detail (or at least no horizontal scanlines) ... looking up close i could see what DLP pixels look like... very neat.... sitting back its all good... but then... wahey... a hand moves across the screen fast... a splash of rainbow.... a flame torch flickers, more rainbow... and almost white flashes perhaps... i didn't find this too much of a problem, what i didn't like was that my eyes had started to ache straight away.... i wear glasses, and also have a stygmata or something similar.. so i found out last time i got new glasses... to be honest it felt a bit like an eye test trying different lenses... when ones aren't right you know... that pain.... weaker admitedly.... I started to not want to look at it so looked at the floor... i couldn't see rainbows in the corner of my eyes but i didn't really like it... to be honest the demo couldn't end quick enough.... not for me i'm afraid... perhaps i'd get used to it.. maybe i was tuned and waiting after all the crap that i'd read.... it did make me feel a bit funny.... beyond that i definately saw rainbows in only 2-3 minutes... and i also did feel pain in my eyes slightly...

This is perhaps the biggest annoyance.... a long term (3-4 year) dream smashed.... i doubt DLP will ever be for me.... thank god i didn't order the X1... headaches beyond what it would of probably caused would of been induced by trying to send it back and swop it.... I guess for high end projection my next leap will have to be CRT or hopefully some new technology...

Anyways that was it.. i was going to go look at the optoma H50 at the other shop but after not liking the more expensive Sim2 i decided to give it a mess.... at least i could just enjoy the H1 picture.. I know now what to expect from LCD... now to know how it rates compared to the newer models... anyone who knows.. i'd love to hear your thoughts :)

Jim

2. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Jim

Don't know if your aware but the HS1 has since been replaced by the HS2 which sells for about the same as a Z1, have seen Richer Sounds seeling the HS1 for under a grand if your interested though. The HS1 is 4:3 whereas the HS2 is 16:9.

Tim

3. jimbobuk

jimbobuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I was aware of this yes... i think the shop has the hs2 one too.. his prices are steep tho....

Does the hs2 compare favourably to Z1, 300u !??

So many choices :)