Thoughts - GRANDVIEW CYBER SERIES FIXED FRAME or SAPPHIRE SFSC266 FIXED FRAME screen?

Secondhand

I'm new to the projector world and a little overwelmed.

I've looked online but not in person, the Grandview Cyber Series 16:9 120" and the Sapphire SFSC266 121" screens. Both fixed for my deadicated cinema room. I'm looking at purchasing the Epsom 9400 and will mainly use it for gaming (4k, 60FPS) and movies.

I'm a little scared at the quality of the picture as I have a LG 55" OLED tv I use everyday but understand it cannot compete with an OLED.

Is there a clear winner between these two screens? The Grandview is roughly £400 more expensive but I'm unsure. Would the extra £400 be well spent on the Grandview or really not noticable. Also, if anyone has a better projector screen they'd recommend?

Many thanks.

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I have the Sapphire screen, used in a dedicated room, and apart from it being a bit more of an aerobic workout than I wanted stretching the screen material onto the studs on the frame I have no complaints at all, it’s a great piece of kit and far better than the cheaper Elite screen it replaced.

7F5E3BF0-7AB5-4C26-A525-DEA5B576030D.jpeg

Secondhand

That looks like a beautiful room. How far back are your seats from your screen? Also, are you side surrounds in line with your seating?

mikemag

Distinguished Member
The main seating is about 230cm back from the screen and the surrounds are in line with it:

308E369D-6E4A-4D9F-A6A5-8F14B954D70E.jpeg

I saw in the Epson thread you were having doubts about the 9400, don’t, I had one in a previous setup and for the two and a half years I owed it there were no issues at all and it produced a fantastic image. The only advice I’d give you is, if at all possible have it professionally calibrated after it’s out a few hours on the lamp.

Secondhand

The main seating is about 230cm back from the screen and the surrounds are in line with it:

View attachment 1627314
I saw in the Epson thread you were having doubts about the 9400, don’t, I had one in a previous setup and for the two and a half years I owed it there were no issues at all and it produced a fantastic image. The only advice I’d give you is, if at all possible have it professionally calibrated after it’s out a few hours on the lamp.
This is sound advice. Thank you very much. I guess people go to these forums mainly to query about a problem instead of praise hence the amount of off putting comments I read about the 9400.

I've also purchased the Silver FXs for sides and four C265-IDCs. My fronts are Silver 300s and rears Silver 50s. The centre is the bigger Silver model. Quite a few people have suggested lowering the side FXs due to me having Atmos instead of following MA placement which I believe ask 1-2ft above ear level. This will create more seperation in sound.

What're your takes?

mikemag

Distinguished Member
I’m happy with mine where they are, I went from two C265s and Kef T101 slimline speakers as surrounds to my current lineup and have no complaints about the immersive level of sound. Admittedly, having Silver 200s as rears might be a slight bit of overkill but they were ex demo units that I got a helluva deal on.
E34F41F1-8655-46A9-891E-F5583EFD41AE.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom