Thoughts and hopes for the PC and console gaming industry - feel free to add!

Status
Not open for further replies.
regarding the cost argument (including the cost of a TV extra).

Take a person that doesn't have any console, or a PC, but wants to get into gaming.

Pretty much every household has a reasonable TV already - therefore, cost of the TV doesn't come in to it.
They are weighing up cost of console vs PC... thats the problem.
PC gaming is too expensive when compared to console.

Anyway, back OT.

I would love to see cross platform online gaming as others have said.
Less titles, but higher quality.
When playing online games like FPS (take CoD for example) i want to be able to jump in and out of games with friends - no need for invites etc, i want to be able to click to join that game and not be restricted to 12 players at a time (i realise this is more of a network connection limitation, rather than the console but i still want it!) I want 50 player battle royals, proper all out warfare! :devil:

I pray for the day when games actually become intelligent, start thinking for themselves, even when not being played (like somebody above mentioned about a game emailing you etc)
We have seen more and more games where choice is involved, but i want a game that could potentially last forever, where you make choices, those choices have consequences, not only for your character but for the characters around you, and the virtual world that they live in.
A cloud based game where you could log in and carry on playing no matter where you are or what device you're on.

All i want is simple...

All Halo games re-written for PC use with full DX11 support :):)

On a reality point, whilst we can always continue to wish, the PC gaming world will never change for one simple reason. Useability.

Consoles have a mass market appeal as they are an off the shelf solution and dont have to be a genious to figure out how to use it. The mass market doesnt want to have to get their head around the latest OpenGL, DirectX, Ati vs Nvidia card, etc etc, nore do they want to have to continueally be installing and uninstalling games or continually paying out for hard drives.

Consoles ARE bringing PC gaming to the general public in the only way the general public will accept, and if the PC world was to start running off disk, it would be taking steps back as there are many advatages of having on your hdd primerily amongst many other things.

So the only thing that would be nice yes is a cross platform gaming, but i can never see it working as it would continually be too unfair.

So really what many of you guys want, is a customisable console, one which works off the shelf, but then ALSO have the ability to upgrade RAM, HDDS, GPUs, whilst still keeping it on the same platform. So the general public could continue to play PS3 games at DX9, but you could upgrade your PS3 console parts and see far better results if you wanted to pay the price for it.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that though Halo (on the PC - I never tried the consoles) was kack? :rolleyes:

I have to say that another thing I would like for the PC gaming industry is for the next generation of consoles to come out.

we all know by now that most of the games out there are designed and made for the consoles and then "ported" to the PC.

I just feel that if we have the next generation of consoles with DX11 and more powerful hardware it will benefit the PC gaming scene no end :thumbsup:

Also something with large multi player games would be wicked.
But when I say large, I mean ****ing large!

I would love to see some MP maps from CoD with say 50 or 100 people per team and perhaps a re-enactment of D-day (or something similar) with a huge fight between the teams.
Some vehicles in there also would be cool.

Or some massive ground wars which last hours, lots of buildings with different layouts, destructible scenery etc

Also something that would be nice is if the game devs did a big public questionnaire on the next game that they are planning on releasing.

Too often there are things left out and things that it seems most of the users would like to see.

Trouble is folks, you could buy a £10,000 TV and console game and it will still look and run crapper than a £1000 PC.

You just have to play and see it to "get it" i'm afraid.

Oh, and Halo is *****. lol

Trouble is folks, you could buy a £10,000 TV and console game and it will still look and run crapper than a £1000 PC.

You just have to play and see it to "get it" i'm afraid.

Oh, and Halo is *****. lol
:nono:

no Console v PC debate :)

Ok, fair enough.

The thread topic was "Thoughts and hopes for PC and console gaming industry"

So I will chime in.

An example. I played Alien vs Predator on the 360. It was "ok".

On the PC, regardless of gameplay, the immersion was tenfold. A higher resolution and graphics made it so.

AvP_DX11%202010-12-01%2013-04-10-44.jpg

Bearing in mind that pic has been downscaled by Picasa.

Console games should be made with consoles in mind and know what their limitations are, that should not fly for the PC market whatsoever. It isn't right.

Console games should be made with consoles in mind and know what their limitations are, that should not fly for the PC market whatsoever. It isn't right.

I sort of think it should be the other way round and this may tie in with others comments.

I actually believe that games should be built with high spec PCs in mind, and then work to downscale for consoles. Ok this may not be as simple as it sounds my any means, but i think its a complete waste of resouce creating a new game on old tech. Example of this is Crysis 2, ive heard romours that as its also being created to run on consoles, theres a risk that the benchmarks that made Crysis 1 will no longer exsist as they will infact be putting less into to ensure a smooth port over- again i could be wrong with this its just something ive heard.

I just dont see what you would be building and developing on a dieing technology, when you could build on new tech and downgrade easier than it would be to upspec.

I sort of think it should be the other way round and this may tie in with others comments.

I actually believe that games should be built with high spec PCs in mind, and then work to downscale for consoles. Ok this may not be as simple as it sounds my any means, but i think its a complete waste of resouce creating a new game on old tech. Example of this is Crysis 2, ive heard romours that as its also being created to run on consoles, theres a risk that the benchmarks that made Crysis 1 will no longer exsist as they will infact be putting less into to ensure a smooth port over- again i could be wrong with this its just something ive heard.

I just dont see what you would be building and developing on a dieing technology, when you could build on new tech and downgrade easier than it would be to upspec.

Your idea equates to the same thing, ideally we'd have console devs doing their thing seperately. Thats how it use to be, and it worked fine.

Not sure why DX11 hardware is getting the fingers up for, it works great.

An example. I played Alien vs Predator on the 360. It was "ok".

On the PC, regardless of gameplay, the immersion was tenfold. A higher resolution and graphics made it so.

AvP_DX11%202010-12-01%2013-04-10-44.jpg

Bearing in mind that pic has been downscaled by Picasa.

Style over substance! I have a DX11 card and bought AVP, only played for an hour or 2 as the gameplay was utter cack.

For the future I hope Relic and Bethesda keep on churning out classics. :thumbsup:

Well speaking for myself the issue I have with console is around the control options. On my PC I can have the programmable controller for RTS, the keyboard & mouse on FPS, then pick up the wireless xbox controller for footie games.

Console well I'm a bit more limited for options.

TV wise I wouldn't be able to take the main TV for gaming sessions - I'd get punted off by both the wife and kids. Most people I know bought a new TV for using with their console - I'm not sure the 10 year old CRT would be a great choice for xbox 360 or PS3 (the TV I had till this year :blush:).

PC's need to get more AV friendly and by doing this I think they will get more acceptance in terms of gaming in the living room.

Which is exaclty what this thread is. They always throw up the same discussion and end in the same conclusion - Consoles are good for a cheap play but if you want more then you get what you pay for from a PC.

Thread closed. If you want to view more console vs PC try the sticky at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom