Thoughts and experiences to help my journey to a new system

lt85

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, new member here!

Thought I'd jump straight in and bow before the hive mind. I've been nursing the same hifi system for many years now. Since my late teens in fact. After a pair of beloved floorstanders got damaged in a house move a month or so ago it seems time to refresh things. We're settling into a new home now, so a new system might be in order.

I have a Teac TN350 turntable and an Onkyo C7030 CD player that will be remaining.

I'd love some opinions and insights around amplifiers and speakers.

I have an old but again quite beloved (but a little past it) Denon PMA-250se, which has made me love Denon amps.

I've shortlisted:
  • Denon PMA 800ne
  • Yamaha 406, the streaming capabilities (Tidal etc) are a nice to have, not essential.
This main system is more for vinyl and CDs with occasional streaming that could always be done with an addon later if needed. I'd also considered the Marantz PM6007, but it isn't the most powerful particularly when the speakers aren't 8 ohm (equal or less than my current one), and I think for future proofing and for some of my speaker shortlist, it won't quite do the job.

For some context on placement and rationale around the list below:

I have a nice big solid oak hifi stand that I built 2-3 years ago (holds approx 300 LPs). The speakers need to be placed at either end of that due to logistics, probably with the turntable in the middle and the separates on a shelf below. Therefore I'm looking at speakers that can survive quite close placement to a solid rear wall (directly behind the hifi unit). So you'll see that none of these have the classic rear bass ports.

The room is a kitchen diner, and listening occurs both sitting/standing/cooking etc. It is fairly open plan but not quite a complete square, we may get the chance to extend it one day, adding a few more feet. Which may see the speakers be able to go onto stands one day, we'll see.

Speaker shortlist:
  • Elac Debut 2.0 6.2
  • Elac Uni-Fi UB52
  • Wharfedale Evo 4.2 (creeping to the top of the list, joint with the UB52s at the moment) - does anyone who owns these know if these can take spikes or feet for isolation purposes? As if I can get away with no stand on top of the hifi unit that'd be great as it is fairly tall already.
Considered but perhaps not right:
  • Triangle Borea BR03 (could change my mind, but something about the aesthetic is throwing me off) despite those front bass ports
  • Elac debut reference (the finishes won't work)
Listening habits:

Primarily alternative music: punk, rock, alternative, some metal and then a smattering of everything else!

My local shops don't seem to be carrying the combos above for demos, so my next step is probably a home trial.

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences of any of the above and look forward to being a part of the forum.

Good evening,

Do you have an absolute upper budget limit and maybe a room diagram you could share with us?

Is a Denon amp/receiver with great built-in versatility if you’re inclined to the brand. Powerful too!
I don’t have any experience of the speakers you mention but the Wharfedales are getting good press on the forum. I have a feeling they may be difficult to to fit into your stand arrangement.
I’ve always liked the look of the Audiovector QR1 as a front ported speaker. Pricey tho’ at just over £1000.

Is a Denon amp/receiver with great built-in versatility if you’re inclined to the brand. Powerful too!
I don’t have any experience of the speakers you mention but the Wharfedales are getting good press on the forum. I have a feeling they may be difficult to to fit into your stand arrangement.
I’ve always liked the look of the Audiovector QR1 as a front ported speaker. Pricey tho’ at just over £1000.
+1. Ridiculously good value, given it will connect with pretty much anything, in a variety of ways. Will drive any speaker under £1k and many over.

I currently have mine connected to a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 20s, a pair of B&W 606s with a Yamaha Sub doing ‘film’ duty. It also has a Pre-out/Zone 2 facility which I’m considering for another room (power amp and Passive speakers or active speakers) . My other half loves using Spotify on it. I do Apple Music, CD, SACD, Blu-ray, Airplay via the kitchen HomePod.
Sorry I m being a bore but it’s a great Receiver/Amp. :thumbsup:

A budget would be very useful, as would a photo of the position the speakers will occupy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom