Those with a soundbar and a LG TV?

Frank Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
What are your settings? I have a Samsung Q950A. On my PS5, I have been previously told to set the TV (LG B9) settings to Bitstream, but depending on the game, I get greatly different results. Why is this?

For example. On Rocket League, the sound is significantly better when the TV is set to PCM. Ambient noise is coming from rear, everything sounds a lot crispier and the bass engages more, especially when you are boosting and you can feel the boom coming from the car. When I set it to BitStream, everything just sounds subdued and flat.

On the other hand I was playing F1. Sounds great on both, maybe a bit clearer when set to PCM, but the bass is almost non-existent when set to PCM. When you drive over a kerb, on bitstream you can hear/feel the rumble but on PCM you can't. Why would that be the case?

I am thinking it's how the game's audio is programmed etc. but I don't want to be switching the audio settings constantly.

If both the TV and soundbar are capable of doing eARC, then on the PS5, set the audio output settings to hdmi device, set the HDMI device type to AVR, set the number of speakers to 7.1 and then down at the bottom set the audio format to Linear PCM. On the TV, ensure that eARC and perhaps 'Passthrough' are enabled?

If both the TV and soundbar are capable of doing eARC, then on the PS5, set the audio output settings to hdmi device, set the HDMI device type to AVR, set the number of speakers to 7.1 and then down at the bottom set the audio format to Linear PCM. On the TV, ensure that eARC and perhaps 'Passthrough' are enabled?
Thanks. Had these settings before. U think the main games sounding worse are Rocket League and Miles Morales

Thanks. Had these settings before. U think the main games sounding worse are Rocket League and Miles Morales
Have you checked the in game audio settings? Quite often, games will default to setting their sound output to TV Speakers. See if there is an option to change the in game audio mix to something along the lines of Home Theatre system or something like that? Maybe adjust the Dynamic Range of the Audio as well in game?

What are your settings? I have a Samsung Q950A. On my PS5, I have been previously told to set the TV (LG B9) settings to Bitstream, but depending on the game, I get greatly different results. Why is this?

For example. On Rocket League, the sound is significantly better when the TV is set to PCM. Ambient noise is coming from rear, everything sounds a lot crispier and the bass engages more, especially when you are boosting and you can feel the boom coming from the car. When I set it to BitStream, everything just sounds subdued and flat.

On the other hand I was playing F1. Sounds great on both, maybe a bit clearer when set to PCM, but the bass is almost non-existent when set to PCM. When you drive over a kerb, on bitstream you can hear/feel the rumble but on PCM you can't. Why would that be the case?

I am thinking it's how the game's audio is programmed etc. but I don't want to be switching the audio settings constantly.

If you set the TV's digital audio output to PCM then the TV will automatically downmix any multichannel audio to just 2 channels of PCM data. This would be all that would be output to your soundbar via ARC or eARC.

It would be suggested that you set the output to PASS THROUGH if accessing the audio via an external device connected to one of your TV's HDMI inputs. This is better utilised by eARC and of more benefit if the soundbar or AVR receiver you are using is eARC enabled?

eARC allows for multichannel PCM and or HD formatted audio while ARC is restricted to SD formats and just 2 channel PCM.

Note that both the PASS THROUGH and the AUTO settings on the TV equate to BITSTREAM.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom