1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" R1 Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by widescreen, Mar 18, 2004.

1. widescreen

widescreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Movie
    It is a long time since I had seen this Movie and I had forgotten what a delightfully warm and funny film it is. Originally released in 1965 it has aged well and the humour (English writers) hasn't dated.
    The banter between the different countries is well done, particularly between the Germans and French. All the planes are real sized replicas so poor looking SFX are kept to a minimum.

A great cast of actors shows Terry Thomas at his dastardly best, and Sarah Miles as attractive as ever. But probably the biggest non-speaking star is the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, the most expensive car in the world, $50 million today!

Picture
    A good anamorphic transfer in its original Todd-AO 2.20:1 ratio. Colour is muted and definition is a bit soft. Edge enhancement rears its ugly head and it can be quite bad but it doesn't really spoil the film. Compression artifacts aren't noticeable. The film could do with a restoration but I doubt this will ever happen. Overall this is better than I expected.

Audio
    Well it's supposed to be 5.0 but it sounds mostly mono. The sound is clear though but has little bottom end.

Extras
    A surprising amount is included for such a budget DVD. A large collection of still photos, director's commentary and a good interview with the director.

Overall
    At such a bargain price this is one not to miss!

Review equipment: 100" Sharp DLP projector, Philips DVD963SA.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,427
    If you fancy reviewing DVDs for the Total DVD website then send THX 1138 a PM.