• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Those AVi's that refuse to stream

Uridium

Distinguished Member
I'm sure most have come across at some point those AVI's that just refuse to stream and just give you an "Unsupported Data" error on the PS3; quite often Gspot reports that they are encoded using a supposed PS3 compliant codec which is even more annoying

Just wondered if anyone can recommend an app that you have used to successfully re-encode these DivX/Xvid AVI's (even if it's into a newer codec of the same type)?

ThuGLy

Prominent Member
you could use psp video 9 (it will drop quility tho)

or bink rad video tools its quick and free and good quality tbh tho i havent had tht much of a need to use them tho ps3 genrally plays most films :smashin:

BName

Banned
I have a full season and out of the whole folder only one file won't play it is annoying considering all the files are the same avi in the folder.

rapid111111

Standard Member
also annoying when the 1st part of the movie works, then the 2nd part refuses to work. the madness! just end up watching it on my laptop :p

roswellgrey

Established Member
Well, this might be relevant :) , but does not address the divx/xvid part of the question. However ....

After having major fun and games with "unsupported data" transport stream files (from a PVR and freeview tuner card),
and after trying a few of the applications that are usually suggested, I have found that MpegStreamClip is an extremely useful app.

It appears unusually reliable at correcting data breaks within a file and hence changes "unsupported"
files into useable files for the PS3, without recoding.
BTW : For mpeg TS files, if you are not wanting to edit the file you don't need the Quicktime package that it
suggests - just exporting to another ts file works a treat ...

Now, whether it would prove useful for troublesome divx/xvid files I cannot say, as I have yet to use these file formats,
but thought it might be worth a mention ....

Last edited:

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Well, this might be relevant :) , but does not address the divx/xvid part of the question. However ....

After having major fun and games with "unsupported data" transport stream files (from a PVR and freeview tuner card),
and after trying a few of the applications that are usually suggested, I have found that MpegStreamClip is an extremly useful app.

It appears unusually reliable at correcting data breaks within a file and hence changes "unsupported"
files into useable files for the PS3, without recoding.
BTW : For mpeg TS files, if you are not wanting to edit the file you don't need the Quicktime package that it
suggests - just exporting to another ts file works a treat ...

Now, whether it would prove useful for troublesome divx/xvid files I cannot say, as I have yet to use these file formats,
but thought it might be worth a mention ....

Thanks i'll give it a try.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom