Thornton Abbey

It's a nice image with very interesting clouds. Unfortunately though my eye is immediately drawn to the blown out area.

Agree with Snerkler. I feel if you'd shifted to the left, if at all possible, you could have lessened the distraction from the sun.

That aside, a great image nonetheless :thumbsup:

Yep - drastically need some highlight reduction and/or exposure compensation applied to that area....

It was the look I was going for too. Wanted the sun hitting the right of the abbey. Maybe I need to revisit the processing on it.

It had a lot of love on a photography Facebook group, shame it didn't go down as well on here.

I'll put it into the raw share thread too :thumbsup:

Wanted the sun hitting the right of the abbey. Maybe I need to revisit the processing on it.

It had a lot of love on a photography Facebook group, shame it didn't go down as well on here.
Intentional sun flare can work, I just have to agree with the others that it just doesn't in this case - though I don't think I'm as adverse to it as some others.

I think most here have a fairly good eye and will only really say they like something if they do. I know some of my most liked photos on Instragram have been criticised here for not being as well composed as they could have been and to be honest they're right. The fact I can easily achieve motion blur, shallow depth of field etc is enough to get my social media followers excited despite the suboptimal composure.

As above really - there's a lot to like in the image - the texture of the clouds for example is really interesting and I like the composition of the ruins.
The sun spot is a bit too large for my taste and keeps drawing my eye which is a bit of a shame but not the end of the world.

I can see what you were after with the flare, but it didn't quite work. It kind of just ended up a blown bit on the photo. Has happened to me previously. Someone said a shift to the left could've helped, I tend to agree with that. Other than this? It's a great image and surely fits the theme bang on. Great example of human artistry in architecture. I like how the building is lit on the front. Be it post processing or actual light, it works. Those clouds look a bit 3D without glasses to me :) Have we chopped up your image enough yet? :) It easily escalates here, if someone makes one comment that provokes the rest to get on the band wagon and then it's full speed ahead! ;) Don't worry, it's only fun! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom