1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thorens TD126 MKIII - Opinions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by D J Fryer, May 19, 2004.

1. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just reading the now closed Linn LP12 thread. Still have 2 turntables in the loft, a NAD 533 (which was a Rega Planar copy as I understand it) and a US (110v) Thorens TD126 MKIII.

The NAD has had a new belt but it still loses speed which makes me think that bearings etc have gone - it wasn't very expensive new so I'm not sure it would be worth having it repaired.

The Thorens is, AFAIK, in full working order albeit cosmetically a bit tatty.

Does anyone have any experience of the Thorens and its comparative quality against the NAD OR would I be better getting rid of both and going one of these cheap Project decks?

It would be for very ocassional use in an AV setup rather than with a stereo only amp.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I couldn't comment too closely on the value of a US spec TD126,although a quick look around shows a UK 125 going for about £400 and several 160's for around the £140-160 region.The value will be reduced by the condition and the US spec.

Again,just my opinion,but the build quality of the Thorens decks was always way superior to that of the NAD's and similar,and spares can still be found now.

If I were you,I'd be very tempted to try and get the Thorens serviced and set up properly,and stick a decent MC cartridge in it,maybe an Ortofon,which always used to go well with them.

3. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that alexs2 - tonight already had a trip into the loft planned to retrieve my broken subwoofer's box so I may just dust off the Thorens and have a gander at it then. I am tempted to try and revive the Thorens but didn't want to waste the time, effort and cash if it was a duffer.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I can understand that....if it's a runner then it's probably worth doing a bit of work on it....just make sure the bearing isn't dry before running it,and that the belt/motor are in good nick also.
    My parents have a TD160 that's easily 25yrs old and still running fine,with no servicing at all,knowing my folks.
    I also have an ancient Ariston RD11E(sort of a precursor to the LP12)in my loft,complete with a Supex SD900 in it,which I really should resurrect or sell.

5. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well my brief outing to the loft (whilst I had the momentum :D ) was cut drastically short by the sauna-like heat up there! Managed to figure out that the Thorens has what looks like a standard arm for the turntable (couldn't see any makers name/model) and it has an Ortofon MC20 cartridge.

Whether it is any good remains to be seen - I imagine I need to set it up but that's not a job for this evening in this weather!

6. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I'd agree with Alex2. The Thorens TT's were well built and you shouldn't get bearing problems. As its quite old though, I would get it checked, and get an estimate before lashing out, as it's only going to be for occasional use. If it's "A ok" then a modest MC would be good for a few years yet.

The NAD was a good TT for the money, but if the bearings gone then it'll most likely be more expensive to repair than it's worth.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The MC20 was actually quite a reasonable lower end MC and the arms of the Thorens were ideally suited to MC use,having quite high mass and reasonable rigidity.

If it all works,and comes up to scratch with a simple service,then you should have quite a decent setup,and one that should do well for a few yrs to come....good luck.

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your input guys. Now to trawl for somewhere to get it serviced.