thor scart leads....owner reviews please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jeffod, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jeffod

jeffod
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    as the post says- i bought 3 of these today for £60 from b&q of all places and for that price i expected a bit of difference compared to the cheap black ones i was using before but there is none.

feel a bit ripped off to be honest:thumbsdow

anyone else bought some of these ?????????

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They are good leads (although the connectors are too big to fit in my TV). If you're going from one RGB signal to another RGB signal down a scart lead then you probably won't see the difference. The difference with PAL signals can be very pronounced.

Personally, the regular "Home Cinema" branded Philex scart leads are just as good as the Thor ones at about one third the price I'm afraid.

What sort of differences were you expecting? Do you have any test patterns so you can have a really good look at the differences? :)

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Do I presume you bought all 3 for £60, not £60 each?

Nothing says that there was anything wrong with your cheap black ones in the first place. Just because they were cheap, or even free, doesn't mean they were poor quality. You might just happen to have decent quality cheap cables. So decent quality expensive cables make little difference...

Thor are a pretty decent brand. So they are not the problem.
    The problem is, you didn't have a problem in the first place...

4. jeffod

jeffod
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i see what your both saying but if what you say is true why are other people on this forum posting threads about 'how good a certain brand is' or 'what a difference the better quality leads make to picture or/and sound quality' ???

i did a lot of searching on this forum on different leads etc and most threads near enough swear by getting new cables.

maybe i was expecting too much i dont know but i do feel kind of misled by some on this forum who advise on which to get,which not to get etc....

maybe they work for said companies,on comission maybe;)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I really don't think that's the case. :rolleyes:

6. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I have various SCART cables in my system ranging from £12 Vivanco's to £35 QED etc and also one THOR cables. IMHO using decent SCART cables does improve the pic quality and is particularly noticable on RGB, the colours are brighter and everything sharpens up. Cheap SCART cables are poorly shielded and therefore prone to interference and usually fall out at every opportunity. Like a previous poster said maybe there was nothing wrong with the cables you were using in the first place. In the end, I don't believe the cable hype quoted by some manufacturers but most brand name cables are well made, will be less prone to interference and will fit better and hopefully offer an upgrade (even if it is only subtle) in pic quality.