Thor HDC-100 - got a few questions

dougmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

i am looking at getting of these and wondered if it would be ok with 1.3 cables? i have read a couple of things that say it only supports up to 1.2.

i am wanting to connect my ps3, 360 and my macbook pro to it. I have a samsung A559 and will also have my foxsat hd box and samsung surround system/dvd upscaler plugged directly into the tv.

Another reason i want to get it due to the optical switcher ability. It is hard to find a swith hat has 4 inputs on it.

any help will be much appreciated.
cheers
Steve

Hello dougmonkey

HDMI devices (Inc. Cables) are always 'backwards compatible'.

Where you have a mix of HDMI versions across your Source, Switch and Display the system reverts to the lowest standard that is supported on all devices.

On short cable runs pretty much any cable will do and at longer cable lengths its not about the version support but other factors that effect cable performance.

There are 4x1 HDMI + Optical Switch's that support v1.3 - see http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava_HDS4A-UK.htm

Joe

ok thanks for the info, will i notice a huge difference between 1.3 and the lower standards?

thanks for the link also, a bit more than i was looking to spend, which is why i am looking at the Thor unit.

Hello dougmonkey

HDMI is a Pipeline.

Depending on what Features are supported at each end of the Pipeline (and by any intermediate devices such as a Switch) you can potentially achieve higher quality Sound, Vision and Interoperability.

A lot of what can be achieved on an all v1.3 signal path is currently Pie in the Sky as the Source and Display Hardware cant fully support it as yet.

HDMI 1.3 Support does have some features that help on current kit with Interoperability so if you have 1.3 compliant Source and Display kit then a 1.3 compliant Switch is a good move.

A working Switch ought not to degrade your Video or Audio signal - though some units are far better at Integrating into a system than others; run a Search and you will find a few folk who have had problems integrating the Thor unit into certain systems.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom