1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson ??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jimmylad, Jul 1, 2002.

1. jimmylad

jimmylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody had experience with the Thomson RPTV's ?

(I'm looking at the 52" at QED for £1668) or should I stay with a Tosh ?

2. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own a Thomson, but it's been on my shortlist for some time now.
    Last night I spent an hour in Comet much to the amusement of the staff tweaking the Thomson and Toshibas side by side.

The Thomson is the one I've decided on - £1500 comet / £1268 QED for the 44" 611 model.

Once I had converged the tubes, the picture stood out a mile over the Tosh. Additionally the menu system is fantastic on the Thomson and it supports progressive scan.

Things I don't like:

Toshiba - every Toshiba I have seen suffers from a dazzling band of brightness that follows you if you bob up and down in front of it. I could not find a single viewing angle without this band. That's enough reason for me to strike it off my list.

Thomson - no rear Svideo input, shiny screen (but not much of a problem for my dark room) clunky remote.

I would suggest popping along to your local store and seeing what you can do with the picture. This was on a rather poor feed but I think I got the Thomson looking better than any of the non RP sets in the store.

3. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Toshiba 42WH18 in July. From that time until middle of october 4 sets got defect (four different defects)! :mad:
    Now I've switched to Thomson 44JW610S (german model) and I'm realy lucky with it. Picture is much better, only on still images there is a light flicker that I did not realize on the Toshiba set.

Not so ggod is the possibility for convergence in the menu because it can only be set for one point. But in service-mode you can set it for about 192 points, done this convergence now is nearly perfect.:D

4. Mugi

Mugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I eventually got round to buying my RPTV - and I chose the Thomson.

My reasons were that the thing is so gorgeous to look at, even when it is switched off.
    As I suspected, with a good direct feed from DVD player the picture is incredible. Viewing angle is surprisingly wide and the clarity is simply stunning.

I bought it from Comet for £1500 - no messing about. They came and delivered it on time and with great care. The only thing about the delivery I didn't much like was that they had to remove it from the box in the van and carry it in full view of the whole street up my drive.

Anyway, if I have to find fault it is with the people who brought to my attention the white flares that appear to the right of some bright spots e.g. candles in otherwise dark scenes.
    If I had never been aware of them, I don't think I would have noticed them.... in fact my housemate still hasn't made comment on them.

I did fit aluminium blinds to my window to cut out light as excessive reflections can be a problem on the glossy screen.

I love my TV and it's very nice to be able to sit in the garden (back in the summer) and watch the test match from 10m away.

:) happy customer.