1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson Wysius 42" plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sprout Crumble, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anybody got one of these?

After a Pioneer or Panasonic myself but saw this in Currys (spit!) and thought someone might be interested.

It was screen/tuner/tabletop stand for £2499 and I have to say. the picture was superb, far better than anything else available around that price (with tuner).

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Series 5 Panny's can be got from NexNix for £2550:smashin:

3. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Then add a tuner, stand and speakers and its well the wrong side of three-grand.
    Like I said, just something I saw yesterday and its a screen thats had some excellent reviews, just lacking a little connectivity that many won't notice.
    Far superior to the LG/Daewoo/Samsung screens at the budget end.

4. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate what you're saying,but I don't think most people would consider speakers an issue.How many people on this forum don't have a decent surround set up?Having said that I may have to take a trip to Curry's and have a gander.Mind you,the price will treble when they try and flog an over priced warranty with it:rotfl:

5. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How many people in this forum would buy from Currys?

:D

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Linda Barker! :D

7. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wash your mouth out!

As long as you are calling the shots you should be okay, just don't let them bully you!

8. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got one from comet online for that price. I got mine from comet because i know they're good for returns (the 7 day distance selling regulation thing) as I've returned a plasma to them before.

Also, I got it from comet because I really couldn't be bothered going around different places trying to get a good test of something when I know that it will look different once it's in my house anyway. I know that sounds bad when you're spending £2-3k but that's just how I feel about it. My girlfriend and I are not that into av stuff that we really notice the difference between displays.

So, it's not bad. A lot better than the lg14 I tried before it but no doubt the hitachi and panasonic are better but then they're a few hundred more. When I got mine the 5 series panasonic were still just under 3k for the screen alone and the hitachi was over 3k. If I was buying now I think I'd go for the more expensive option now that the price difference is less. Having said that, you can get the thomson from qed for £2.3k. Maybe get one from comet with a barclaycard and then claim back the difference? I wish I had done that but I honestly didn't think the price would drop that much in a couple of months. qed did it for the same price as comet when I made my purchase.

The tuner box seems massive and by default the built in speakers are switched to on but the manual says they should be switched off and are only used for testing in the factory! They're crap too and just hiss all the time so definitely switch them off if you get one. The remote is a bit cheap and chunky but I use a pronto so that doesn't matter to me. PIP is good and easy to use. All the settings are easy to get at but the manual doesn't really explain what some of the extras do (like comb filter and auto noise reduction). After watching a letterboxed film (typically a svcd) you can notice faint bars top and bottom if the screen is displaying a black background. For example, my pioneer dvd player shows the pioneer logo on a black background when it's not playing a disc. But, it soon disappears either when you start watching something fullscreen or turn the tv off for a while. I accidentally left the cable tv guide displayed for a couple of hours and that didn't burn in either.

There's a faint buzz from the transformer but depending on your hearing it may or may not be a problem for you. I started off listening for it all the time and it bugged me but then I realised that some of that noise was coming from the fridge! If I shut all the doors and there is no background noise at all (which is rare) and I turn on the tv but have no sound then I can hear the buzz from viewing distance. But, as 90% of screens buzz I decided to get over it and now I do not notice it.

There's three scarts, two are rgb, s-video and composite compatible and the third is just composite. I think there's an s-video on the front as well as the vga connector and composite. You can setup the three scarts with different settings (brightness, contrast etc) which helps as you'll probably want different settings for tv, dvd and video/x-box etc.

I haven't been able to find any reviews of it though, have you found some online? I'd be interested to know what settings to use to optimize performance.

If you've got any questions then let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

9. adm1988

adm1988
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know how to remove the stand on the thomson wysius 42"? ive tried removing the two screws on each leg but they're still stuck and i dont want to force them incase it breaks