1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson WB843/842 ... a little problem here

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ayreon, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ayreon

Ayreon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum (and I'm German, too, so forgive my bad English), but have been reading here for quite a while.

Just bought the Thomson WB842 (843 in UK, I think) which is basically the WB643 on a rack (and has the black mirror finish which IMHO sharpens the contrast a bit more). Really love the TV (the first ever that managed to show a good picture even in a large store) and it's a value for money deal, for sure.

Two problems, though: First one has to do with the PQ. I just have a normal DVD player (Pio 444) connected to the set (via RGB Scart), and in general, it works fine - watched a couple of DVDs and there was nothing to complain about. Yesterday I popped in the "Harry Potter I" DVD (yeah, I know - guilty pleasures), and the picture itself was fine ... since it was shot in a 2.35:1 ratio, there were still some visible black bars, of course. And there's the prob: the upper black bar, in bright daylight scenes, changed from black to kinda grey (and went back to black in darker scenes) - it changed with the picture. The lower bar offered deepest black, though. How can I adjust that? Is it a problem with the tube or just a bad RGB connection? I do not think this is a problem of the DVD, although the other ones seemed fine so far. This is really weird, so I'd appreciate some help.

Second problem: sound. I do not have a receiver and speakers yet, so I watch via TV speakers. Anybody got an idea what's the best setting? At the moment I use "Magical" - with DVDs it's a pain, though, since dialogue often gets lost in the mix, especially in the middle of or right after an action scene. When I watch TV it's more or less okay but the built-in sub is buzzing very loudly at times. Is there a perfect setting?

Thanks a lot for all your help,

bests,

Ayreon

2. Ayreon

Ayreon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Thomson owner online yet? :(

3. Ayreon

Ayreon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up again ...

I'm not giving up yet ...

4. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Aryeon,
    I've got a 643 and love the set apart from a "dirty" screen effect which I can live with as it's only visible in the odd occasional shot. Anyway, i popped in the Harry Potter (R1) film and it played with no probs with the 2.35:1 black bars staying perfectly black throughout. I have a HK2250 DVD player.

Soundwise I usually play through a HC system but find that I like the sound with the dynamic bass off, sound set to Magic, and the graphic equaliser set to film. I find the set's subwoofer a bit too boomy for normal TV. HTH

5. Ayreon

Ayreon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I noticed the "boom" effect of the sub, especially when watching TV. Thanks for the settings --- can't wait to get my receiver/speakers.

Still the weird "Potter" prob ... hm. Never noticed that effect on the former combination I had (same Pio 444, connected via RGB to a Loewe Aconda). Guess I need to wait for a PS player ... or actually, a recorder (DVD+HD, not available yet, I think).

I'd appreciate some more opinions.

Thanx a lot.

Ayreon.

6. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

Ayreon, would you mind telling me how the Thomson compares to the Loewe Aconda?

7. Ayreon

Ayreon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ddlooping,

phew, that's hard to compare. Overall, the Aconda seems a bit more sophisticated - meaning, they just don't have all the settings and stuff that tempts you to play around with PQ. They just deliver a very good picture. Their EPG is better, and the handling concept as well. Still the greatest remote ever developed - very ergonomic.

The Thompson ... well, you can tweak it a bit more, I guess. And it has HiPix (if you need it, that is) and Progressive Scan (ditto). The PiP concept is better.

Picturewise I don't see too many differences, except you use the PS connection for DVD on the Thompson.

The Thompson is one generation ahead, but the Aconda is a classic with a very simplistic approach. Just plug it in and enjoy ...

Depends on you, I guess ;-)

8. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the reply, Ayreon. :)

The reason I was asking is that I currently own a 4-year-old Hitachi 50hz 32" widescreen and I'm thinking of upgrading it.
    I was recommended the Loewe Aventos, mainly because it's supposed to have a "smoother" 100hz processing.
    But it's £300 more than the Thompson, and was wondering if it was worth it. ;)

I'm quite pleased with the Hitachi, but I'm looking for the "wow" factor, the "more depth" effect. :D
    Do you reckon I'd really see an improvement?

9. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy a new 16:9 32" CRT TV soon.

It looks like the Thomson 32 WB 642 S is a very good set.
    Do you recommend it? Pros and Cons?

How does it perform with progressive scan signals as input with component connectivity?

How do you compare it to the Panasonic TX-32PD30D?

Thanks!