Thomson VM-D5 info please

F

Fats

I just purchased a Thomson VMD5, it was an impulse buy as it was being sold very very cheaply as the battery and the mains adapter are missing, but still it seemed a ridiculously low price for a dv camcorder ! so now I have no batteries and no mains supply and although I have a battery on it's way now from a mail order company, the mains supply seems incredibly expensive.... I'm being quoted £186 which is more than I paid for the cam itself! I beleive from the little I am able to find out about this cam that it is based on a JVC model, does anyone have any info on that or if batteries and mains adapters are inter-changeable between the 2 brands, actually I'd be grateful for any comments/tips you all have about this cam and where to buy spares etc
Thanks
:confused:

Originally posted by Fats
I just purchased a Thomson VMD5, it was an impulse buy as it was being sold very very cheaply as the battery and the mains adapter are missing

By the time the bits and pieces you require are purchased it will be close to the price of a brand new camera complete.
Thomson camcorders are clones of various camcorders not solely JVC, Thomson are not a major brand in cameras.
If possible return camcorder to original supplier and inform them you need a discounted charger / mains adaptor and so on...... or a full refund / exchange.
If not possible take camera to nearest Jessops branch and enquire about "universal" accessories, not Thomson branded.

Originally posted by gringottsdirect

By the time the bits and pieces you require are purchased it will be close to the price of a brand new camera complete.
Thomson camcorders are clones of various camcorders not solely JVC, Thomson are not a major brand in cameras.
If possible return camcorder to original supplier and inform them you need a discounted charger / mains adaptor and so on...... or a full refund / exchange.
If not possible take camera to nearest Jessops branch and enquire about "universal" accessories, not Thomson branded.

thanks for the information, I unfortunatley am unable to return the camcorder, however I have managed to get 2 batteries for £50..ish and i have the charger, what I don't have that seems to be more of a problem is the mains adapter, however am I right in thinking that when it's connected to my pc through a firwire card it will also power the camcorder ? Jessops were helpfull and could order the batteries for me, but they would take 4weeks to arrive which is 3 weeks 6 days more than my patience
and on that note, I already ordered the batteries from partmaster direct.co.uk on next day delivery they arrived 4 days later...today ! and are the wrong batteries, being BNV408, when they should be BNV207 or BNV214 ( which i have discovered is the same battery as used in the JVC DVL20 and 40, I wonder if the mains adaptor is also the same ) and theyre customer service was dreadfull although they are refunding me! but be aware ! keene.co.uk are now sending the correct batteries both cheaper and with considerably better customer service, heres hoping they arrive on time.
any advice on firewire cards ? I have an xp1900 chip 80gig 7200 hdd and a pioneer dvd writer running XP Pro 512 ram I was thinking of the D-Link DFW-500
thanks
Fats

Hi Fats

Try CameraWorld ay http://www.cameraworld.com/

The link will change to Ritzcamera but it's still CameraWorld, their best outlet. You can call them at 1-800-226-3721
They have a local Portland Oregon Battery company that is excellent & economical.
Drafter

Originally posted by Drafter
Hi Fats

Try CameraWorld ay http://www.cameraworld.com/

The link will change to Ritzcamera but it's still CameraWorld, their best outlet. You can call them at 1-800-226-3721
They have a local Portland Oregon Battery company that is excellent & economical.
Drafter

Hi Drafter,
I'll take a look at that website, although I'm not sure if you realised i'm in Scotland in the UK, so the Portland Oregon battery company is not so local for me.
but thanks for the reply !

Fats

Battery's Know no nationality as long as they have one that fits.
My daughter had an out of production cam and they found a charger with alligator clips that worked fine. The shipping is cheap.

BTW My Great Grand parents were from Scottland, the MacDonald's.

Hi Drafter,
Yes thats true! thanks for your help I checked out that website, but now that you've brought my attention to the obvious ! I'll check it again, actually I did check a battery site in malaysia that had good prices ( www.sabahoceanic.com ) so why not the States !
Cheers M8
Fats
p.s I know a lot of McDonalds from the inverness area, but as you can imagine it's a fairly common name here! but it's no surprise they ended up in the USA, we do like to travel !

Hi there, I have been given a VMD5 camcorder. I have been ablke to find out very little about it on the web.

Did you manage to find a website that gives spec details etc?Also, what firewire card and software have you used successfully with this cam.

ANy help gratefully received,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom