Thomson TopupTV PVR - Series Link question

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Paul O, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all,

Anyone got one of the Thomson topup TV PVRs that are currently available?

They say "series link" is available on them, but I've tried a few things on my mums (the more expected stuff like Corry and Eastenders, Holby City etc) and none of them have a series link flag.

Is it actually working yet, or just a marketing gimick?

Thanks,

Paul.

2. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I've got about a dozen things set on serial link. So far it's not missed anything, and I'm now watching more telly than before. I never watched programs in two or three parts because I knew I'd miss one. But now I set it to record (eg West Wing) and it asks if you want it added to serial link, and I never miss any. It does record the repeats if they're on the same channel, though (like Damages on BBC2).
    Can't saywhether it would catch corrie-I can't think of a reason for even trying:devil:
    Programs take a lot less time to watch as well because I skip the ads and intros.
    If they ever bring out an update which allows you to remove the unnecessary stuff by using an edit function, I'd be well impressed. It'd release space too.

3. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It should do - but do note that if your mother's box is brand new, the Thomson doesn't use the standard Freeview EPG; that's what you'll see when you first turn it on, but once a day (around 11am, I think), it downloads a special 14 day guide, and it's that that provides the series link info too.

So, if you buy one today, plug it in, and set recordings, you won't get the series link info; after the EPG has downloaded, you'll be prompted when you set a recording.

Also, if it's been unplugged from the mains for a couple of weeks, then again it won't have the up to date series link info.

4. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks very much guys - thats really helpful.

Mum turns hers off at the power in the evening (its in the bedroom and the fan annoys her), so she only has the 7 day epg most of the time - I guess that answers the question.

Really pleased the series link works though - I'm going to buy one tomorrow for myself now I know that - it will live in the front room so will be powered on all the time.

Thanks again (and thanks Mods for correcting my spelling :smashin: )!! :thumbsup:

Paul.

5. Rufus49

Rufus49
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

Don't forget that if you switch the tuner off at the mains it is a possibility that you could miss some important upgrading downloads which topup may send during the night.

Rufus49

6. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks Rufus,

I borrowed the one at my folks house after they had a spate of problems. I left it on overnight for a week and it appears that it downloaded some firmware update as the problem has now gone away. :thumbsup:

The series link also activated along with the 14 day EPG. Once I gave it back, these facilities went again but my folks aren't bothered anyway.

I've still not got round to purchasing one, but its on my to-do list. Great piece of kit! :cool:

Paul.

7. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    I have the thomson, and I see it as a 'MyFirstPVR' - its a nice bit of kit, and a good start into the PVR world. Once you have one, you realise that there could be a few things done differently, but mostly, as you pointed out, the noise of the hard drive being on constantly. Nice bit of kit for £100 though! :smashin:

I think that others (Humax, Toppy) have sleep options on the hard drives to cut down the noise though.

As for series link, mine has worked from the outset (bought in Dec07) but I had odd problems with Emmerdale (all the time) for some odd reason - but possibly because it was flicking between my missus Emmerdale, Eastenders, and Corry.