1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson televisions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phenom2003, Mar 10, 2003.

1. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody here owned or currently owns a thomson telvision sets. I am looking to buy a budget tv for my bedroom and the thomson 28wf45ug and the 28wf401g both look reasonably good spec-wise but do they have good pictures and are they reliable. The 28wf45ug is 449.97 and the 28wf401g is 402.96. Also do both Unbeatable.co.uk and Empiredirect.co.uk have a good service. Thanks

2. silent lucidity

silent lucidity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Picture quality quite acceptable.Reliability I can only speak for the set my father owns.Went wrong within months of buying and was in repair shop quite a few weeks.Now gone wrong again a couple of years later.Could just be luck of the draw:rolleyes:

3. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I owned a 32WF45 for a while before it went back. The TV itself was superb, really good picture and sounded great too. The only problem I had with mine was a staining problem, a nasty green splodge in the bottom right hand corner. I found out that a few other people had this problem too so it went back.

Like Silent Lucidity said, luck of the draw with these sets.

4. kohini

kohini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was an article in The Sunday Times on internet shopping where there were a few complaints about Empiredirect, mainly to do with incorrect orders and poor customer service, apparently some customers were still waiting on their product several months on....

you have been warned

5. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Phenom,

you know I've got the 28wf45ug because I replied to your earlier post. After a few more days I would say that the picture through the scarts is quite good. The picture through the RF co-ax is not as good as my old Sony 4:3, but not too bad after I moved my VCR channel away from one of the TV channels. The picture zoom modes seem to work well : don't make straight lines so bendy that they become distracting. The remote is very good, with backlight and limited VCR, Hi-Fi, DVD,Satellite control.

The picture makes fast moving objects look slightly soft, but this happens on some £1000 tv sets too : a common 100Hz 'feature'.
    However football is watchable..

Got the set from empire direct and it arrived on time within 2 days, so I was quite pleased this time. Used them once before and discovered that if the item is in stock there is no problem. If the item ordered is out of stock then there may be problems.
    Ordered speakers and a receiver. Speakers arrived in 2 days, receiver did not arrive(was actually discontinued). I called them after two weeks to tell them that the receiver was no longer being made by Kenwood. They promptly offered me an alternative receiver that also arrived very quickly. So if you use Empire I recommend you call them and doublecheck that the set is in stock..

Martin

6. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin, can you turn the 100hz feature off or is it permently on. Also has anybody had experiences with Unbeatable.

Thanks, Richard

7. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no, you can't switch it off. I would say that the softness/bluriness of fast moving objects is just about noticeable from viewing distance. If you watch a lot of football/F1 then perhaps a flat 50Hz wide tv may be better..

Martin

8. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I didn't find football a problem on my Thomson TV. Took a bit of getting used to but once you're used to it, it's fine.