1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson Scenium autoformat problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Phil Lovett, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Phil Lovett

Phil Lovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Thomson Scenium 32WT45U TV/DVD will not remember any aspect ratio format setting in the set up menu other than 'auto'. It allows selection of 16:9 and 4:3, but forgets these and reverts to 'auto' when the channel is changed. This only affects the tuner presets - AV inputs are ok. Therefore when watching a TV channel, the picture will suddenly 'zoom' and the top of the picture goes off the screen. It can be manually brought back with the zoom control, but it's a bit annoying.
    ALSO - I managed to get into the service menu ONCE (hold volume minus and channel minus then switch on with front panel switch), but subsequently cannot repeat this.

Does anyone have any comments on either of the above observations? Any help would be appreciated.:smashin::mad:

2. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No solution to your problem, but I can add that my newly bought Thomson 28WF45UG (cheap 28" flat 100Hz..) also has a mind of its own when it comes to aspect ratio setting. As with your set, when I change channel the aspect ratio always reverts back to auto. Must be a common software 'feature' across Thompson's TV range. I agree this is mildly irritating..

I tried your trick to enter the service menu and it didn't work on my set..

Martin

3. Phil Lovett

Phil Lovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin,

Well, we also have a Thomson 28WF64E - I don't know how similar that is to yours - and that does NOT have this irritating problem. I wonder if there are different versions of software out there. The 'secret' service menu is entered as follows ( I found out what I was doing wrong):
    1. switch the set to standby from the remote control
    2. hold the TV front panel switches vol- and prog- for approx 8 seconds

The set should then switch on with the service menu displayed. Although there is an aspect ratio option there, setting it to 'cinerama' still doesn't stop the set reverting to 'auto' on the tuner presets.

Phil

4. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

I also got into the service menu last night using the same method you mentioned (before I was using the volume and prog buttons on the remote). Software version is 1.30. Couldn't find anything to stop the aspect ratio from switching to 'auto'.

I didn't touch any of the geometry settings, but I played with some of the colour settings to try and improve my RGB picture (a bit dim). Reasonable results, plus shifting the channel my VCR was on also helped the coax picture somewhat..

Martin