thomson scenium 32wb642?

I doubt that the internals are at all different on the 843.. I reckon the only reason we have heard nothing about it is that hardly anyone seems to carry it.. its bascially £300 more for a fixed stand and a extra class shelf.

Yep I agree I have at least the PIP bug (cannot easily check the teletext one) but I just meant that if I have serial number past the 300000 thats maybe that explains why I have not seen any of the wavy lines/interference on the picture as they may have rectified it, or the fact its from a later run means I have been lucky.

I'll check tonight for sure :) Fully understand you giving unbeatable hell.. my usage of the TV is diff to you as really all I was looking for is a big monitor... I never use the onboard sound or analogue tuners. The fact I have a TV that can do progscan + hipix (though I'll be damned if I can see any difference between 100hz/hipix and progressive when watching SKY) without any major picture/geometry issues like you hear with for example the PD30 then I am more than happy to keep the one I have with the PIP bug. If Thomson happen to upgrade the software/chip then I may get them out to fix my TV.. but at the moment it looks like the PIP/Teletext bug affects everyone whereas the dodgy wavy lines/green screen some of use here have experienced seems more in line with a faulty batch rather than a internal range wide error.

Anyhow I've only had mine one day so I will be watching it very closely!

Are there any other interesting settings to know about in the service menu ? I admit I have not been brave enough to go looking through it yet :)

Cheers

Matt

What is annoying me is lagging it up and down the stairs earch time AND being without a tv.

Here is a good trick in the service menu:

1. Press -VOL then -PR on tv, hold for 8seconds - menu appears.
2. Enter "Chassis setup"
3. Tick "Toplight"
4. Exit this menu

Menu->Install->Preferences
you will now see a "Front panel light" slider

You can go from off to fully bright - handy if ur watching a movie with the lights off and don't want the tv light on.

Don't know why this has to be enabled in the first place.

Originally posted by Gort

ITC222_V100-0
Serial No. ARD214906, my last tv was ARD214924 which makes the new tv slight older, yet I was told it came from a newer batch by Unbeatable. yeah right !!!

Checked mine last night. Same s/ware version, my Serial No. is ARD214926 - only 2 away from your original Gort. Not surprising as it came from Unbeatable shortly after yours.

In terms of issues:

Have got:
PIP freeze issue
Subtitles issue

Haven't got:
Component Video geometry issue (from my Toshiba SD330 DVD it is perfect)
Vertical lines from general scart inputs
Green hue

Haven't tried:
SVideo input to AV3 (front inputs)

I did replace all my cables with the tv. Not top flight ones but not the absolute cheapest either - not sure if this is germain or not.

So Thomson sell a tv with known bugs but don't bother to inform people when they advertise it. Then when people complain they denigh it and say it's a one off.

When u say u have had two faulty tv's + avforums members have had the same problems your told to contact your retailer.

Surely when you design something you make sure it works before producing them?

Anyhow I'm not having my "2nd" tv sent back for fixing for two reasons.

1. What state will it be when I get it back - scratches etc...
2. How long will I be without a tv while they sort it out.

New 100% working tv or refund.

No smoke without fire.
There's serveral probs here, how many more r there?

I understand why you are peeved... but at the same time.. it seems to be nothing new in the world of TV's look at the ton of issues with Panasonic/Sony to name but two. I really hope they sort you out.. or your able to find a TV/brand which gives you what you are looking for.. funny thing is.. mine is older than all of yours :

ARD213227

So I guess the serial No is basically irrelevant...

Good Luck

Matt

Matt Horne said:
Right.. I have been fiddling around with the geometry settings..

If anyone would like a list of my latest geometry settings I'll post them here...

Cheers

Matt

I am interested... :smashin:

Thanks. :)

Got a good story coming to you a bit later if you are interested?

Thomson & Unbeatable

You'll love this one

Gort we are all ears :)

Tharkun Here you go.. almost perfect.. very slight bend in one corner.. not sure if can rectify that.. and its only visible now and again!

Heres my list... I have noticed that certain settings change between NTSC/PAL but only usually by a letter (D4 becomes A4 etc!)

This is a list for NTSC (60Hz) Please use these at your own risk.. looks good on my tv etc etc. Mkae sure write all settings down before fiddling.. I recommend using a avia disc etc so you can have the grid patterns on screen so you can see what the settings are doing :

V slope (top of geometry screen) D0 (PAL A0)
7C
H position 7C (PAL 8C)
H Amplitude D4
Ew Sym 60
8c
E0
A0 (PAL 80)

Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• thomson_tv.JPG
    thomson_tv.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,542
Thanks for the settings ! :)

My TV only has the "Freeze PIP" issue like yours (and everyone's I think) but it doesn't bother me at all too (I didn't notice it before reading this thread and I really can't see how this feature may be of any use to me).

I'm really sorry Gort experienced so many problems. :(

Gotta do this 2morrow as I'm tired BUT for now I used a different email address to email Thomson concerning the faults. Here is the reply:

//////////////////////////
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting the THOMSON Helpline.

We would be very interested to know of what "issues" - faults one is having or expericing with this unit as this television is a recent released product on the UK market
//////////////////////////
Replying 2morrow - tooooo tired

YEP - still denying any faults

Unbeatable are collecting my TV 2day. They will not give me a replacement and instead have decided to refund my money+delivery cost due to the fact that I will more than likely get another faulty one Or as Thomson call it a TV with "ISSUES".

they said this is going to their head-office to be "investigated".

I was going to say to Unbeatable, "I'll have a replacement, I might get lucky !!!!"
But I thought the chances were to slim.

They say they are having problems contacting Thomson. I was told they'd left a message on the Thomson answer machine and they had not got back to them.

I find that surprising really as when I called Thomson some-1 was there - they sell a lot of products and they would have some to answer calls during office hours.

I think Unbeatable could not be bothered to deal with it and like Thomson think most people will not use these functions, notice them or just not bother to complain. But I'm English and that's wot we do best.

I still would like this TV again BUT this time I'm armed with knolege and experience on these forums, Unbeatable and Thomson. I'll wait until I can get a bug-free TV or maybe even the next model when it comes out.

So now I have no TV again. Been a waste of a month - 2tv's lugging up and down the stairs with mates help costing me beer for his help.

Also helping the delivery man carry past ten houses each me. I actually bumped into him down HI-street and said, "I'll be seeing you tomorrow". He said, "#@$£&*, not again"

So there you have it. The saga has ended for now.....I suggest everybody with faults email Thomson - they'll probably say that it's the first time they've heard of any faults and to contact your retailer. They should be forced by law to repair everybody's TV's.

Here's one more problem for you all. If you later want to sell your TV, the person you sell it to might ask, "Has this TV got any faults.................?".

Ouch... hmm it does sound like unbeatable have given up.. Ihad no issues getting through to Thomson when I rang them.. they have the usual telephone menu system like all companies.. (and you would think they would have a reseller helpline.. !)

Hope you find a TV which works ! :)

Matt

Just rang them to find out who they sold it too as I wanted to see one in the flesh (comet were the biggest buyers I believe).. also I found out whether they offered any sort of extended warranty rather than taking the ones offered by unbeatable/empire direct etc etc.. they do but its parts only not labour..(which seemed a bit stupid).

Probably will not bother at all.. I'l let the home insurance cover it..

Matt

when I got my tv there was a card inside the box to extend guarentee for 3 or 5yrs.
I didn't read it proberly as you know I have send 2tv's back.

Think it was £80 or something - cheaper than Unbeatable.

You can image labour costs, that'll soon hike up the price and the parts they replace would then be paid for. CON.

Matt Horne said:
Tharkun.. Have u tried fiddling with the geometry ?

Yes, I have, with good results, especially about overscan. :)

I have also got the DVE PAL DVD for better results, but I'll need some quiet hours... ;)

Thanks !

Thats great..

Once you have finished fiddling any chance you can post the settings :) Always room for improvement :)

Cheers

Matt

Uzey said:
I wonder if these 'faults' have been sorted!

I've sent them a few emails. I had an email to say they were looking into it.

However they sent me another email which said, "Thomson were not aware of any problems with this tv".

Replying to this I said that I had had two faulty tv and there everyone who had bought one on these forums had the same problems. Also some-1 had seen one in Comet with the same probles.

They still denigned it. Even though I had said I had two of these tv's and had got my money back they were still saying return to your retailer.

I think their policy is that if you have a faulty tv then return it to your retailer, if your retailer can not repair it then contact Thomson - from here I expect they would repair it.

If they admitted they were supplying faulty tv's then there would be legal problems then everyone who has one would then be entitled to a repair at their cost I recken.

Can anyone please explain these 'problems' to me as I have just taken delivery of one (and I'm very impressed!!!!) and can find no fault with either the freeze frame or the teletext.
Serial number :- ARD214906
Software Version :- ITC 222_V100-0

Uzey said:
Can anyone please explain these 'problems' to me as I have just taken delivery of one (and I'm very impressed!!!!) and can find no fault with either the freeze frame or the teletext.
Serial number :- ARD214906
Software Version :- ITC 222_V100-0

ERM....YOU DON'T WORK FOR THOMSON DO YOU? :clown:

You must be lucky, maybe Thomson have fixed these problems and the one's they have been selling were made before the bugs were noticed/reported.

1.When you have PIP or PAP displayed, if you press the "Freeze" button it freezes the secondary picture, if you press "OK" it freezes the main picture.

2. Teletext works but subtitles do not + members have reported the teletext slow on certain channels.

3.Two moving lines coming thru on the front svhs (av3), tried with pc, dvd and $ky digital and I tried with two seperate svhs leads.

I've send two of these back 'cause of this.

Where did you buy yours from? And was you aware of these problems b4 u bought it?

thx
Gort

Uzey - Can you try these 3 probs on your tv and post your findings?

This was the serial of my 1st tv, ARD214924.

thx
Gort

Strange, my serial no was older than yours.

Ment to say on 1:

1. the "FREEZE" button only freezed the main pic and not the secondary on my tv's - same with other members here. The "OK" button freezes the main.

Try and freeze the secondary pip/pap.

Gort again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom