1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson Niggles.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Riviera, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Riviera

Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've just got a Thomson Wide Screen TV - a 28WR25UG according to the paperwork. I'm quite happy accept for a couple of nagging points.

1. On some broadcasts there is a black band down the right hand side of the screen.

2. Although the picture fills the screen it seems to miss off the picture edges. For example, when a programs credits are rolling it will miss of the first and last letters when the credit lines are too long. It's like the TV has zoomed in a bit on the picture. The same happens for the bottom and top of the picture as well. When playing from DVD there is no such problem.

3. The picture sometimes seems off-center.

I am getting my TV signal through an NTL digital box and have set that up for wide screen mode, 16/9.

Is it possible to correct this through the service menu as I have seen in the past with other TV's? If so, how do you get the service menu up?

Cheers,

Riv.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate i have the 32 inch version of that set and dont seem to have these problems, could you tell me if you have a Auto Zoom feature in the prefrence menu i dont but according to the spec i should have, i phoned Thomson today and they said it should have so it looks like its going back i`ve only had it 3 days.You should find it in prefrence menu there should be under format control a option called auto zoon as illistrated in the manual and in the spec sheet .Is this option there on your model?

Oh to get into the service Menu switch the set off with the switch on the front then at the plug.
    Leave it for 15 mins then with the prog- and vol- on the front of the set held down switch it on at the plug then at the switch keep the buttons held down until the menu pops up.
    Dont ask me why you have to leave it 15 mins i dont know mine just wont go in to the menu unless i do.

Please answer to the Auto zoom problem i have.
    See Ya
    Sid 1

3. Riviera

Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sid,

service menu didn't work. Followed your instructions to the letter.
    Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Riv.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Re the picture from NTL.

I had NTL a short while ago, and with my set, Hitachi 32WF810, it was impossible to fill the screen with certain programmes, no matter what setting you chose. Also when you saw the black bands either side, one would be wider than the other, indicating it was off-centre, even though every other type of media was displayed correctly.

This is something perculiar to NTL I think (it never happened with SkyDigital).

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry it didnt work m8 it works on mine every time, it also works if you hold them down on the remote as you switch on the set you could try that.
    Sid1