Thomson HD Box.. Worth £100

6022tivo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a HD box for FTA, not wanting the £10 sub for sky HD stuff.
I have had a offer for a Thomson 300gb box (PVR4??? Don't know what that means)... £100

Any reasons why this would be a bad buy, bad box, bad idea???

Thanks in advance.:lease:

Hi

I am looking for a HD box for FTA, not wanting the £10 sub for sky HD stuff.
I have had a offer for a Thomson 300gb box (PVR4??? Don't know what that means)... £100

Any reasons why this would be a bad buy, bad box, bad idea???

Thanks in advance.:lease:

The 300GB Thomson, is the original Thomson box - it only has 160GB available for recording. (The rest is reserved for Anytime).

You will not be able to record anything at all without a some kind of sky sub.

Sounds expensive to me.

The 300GB Thomson, is the original Thomson box - it only has 160GB available for recording. (The rest is reserved for Anytime).

You will not be able to record anything at all without a some kind of sky sub.

Sounds expensive to me.

Yep, I do have a sub. Just the basic plus a couple of mixes.. So the recording feature will be switched on...

He describes it as the latest Thomson PVR4 with 300GB????

You say it is the original??

Since you have a choice of boxes i'd try and find a Pace or Amstrad. I wouldn't knowingly buy a Thomson if my life depended on it especially as it won't be under and Sky warranty. But some people have no issues with their boxes. The Thomson I got installed in September lasted a whole three months which is my record so far. I had a DOA Thomson, a 2 week Thomson and 10 day remote sensor gone before I landed the new Amstrad.

The PVR4 might be the latest thomson but it's not the newest HD box. I believe (someone will probably correct me shortly though) that the Amstrad DRX780 is the newest model in circulation.

Good luck.

Duncan

PVR 4 is the designation of any HD box - PVR 1, 2 and 3 were/still are the non HD Sky boxes.

Thomsons were made from 2006 to 2008 but are not made now. So this could really be anywhere between 3 years and a few months old. The model number would tell you that if you ask.

Also ask if it has a component connection. Only the older Thomsons do.

Whilst I agree that the Pace is a slightly better box (we have both so can compare) we also still have a day one (2006) Thomson in use as our main box and never had Sky out to it. We are nowhere near alone in that. So Thomsons are not automatically rubbish.

As the component connection is on no other Sky HD boxes and never will be these boxes will be of use to some who need that connection. It also, for instance, allows you to easily connect to two separate HD TVs - one via component and another via HDMI - both in HD. Which can save the second HD sub that you otherwise have to pay if you want HD in two rooms via two boxes.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom