• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Thomson HD box on FreeSat, only 1 HD Channel

royd999

Standard Member
I recently replaced my ageing Thomson box with an Amstrad 1TB box. I also purchased a FreeSat viewing card from Sky and ran a couple of extra cables from the LNB.

All seemed well, the card was activated/paired and sprang into life, but I can only get Channel 4 HD, those that don't invite me to upgrade my service (as I would expect) tell me there's no satellite signal. (As I wouldn't expect).

• The signal strength and quality are good.
  • If I swap the cables from box to box, there is no difference.
  • If I pop the FreeSat card into the Amstrad, I get all the non-subscription HD channels.
  • If I put the subscription's viewing card into the Thomson, I still only get C4 on HD.
So this suggests that the Thomson's a little ill.

Can anyone suggest a cheap (preferably free :devil:) solution to fix the Thomson?

Thanks,
Roy

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Can anyone suggest a cheap (preferably free :devil:) solution to fix the Thomson?

Everything you describe are classic symptoms of the Thomson failing power supply syndrome. Are the capacitors bulging?

The satcure kit is the obvious solution - but it ain't free. Search and ye shall find...

logiciel

It's not Freesat; it's FreeSatFromSky - there's quite a big difference.

royd999

Standard Member
It's not Freesat; it's FreeSatFromSky - there's quite a big difference.
Yes, I know.

The proper solution would be to buy a proper FreeSat HD PVR, but I've had a lot of expenditure on Cars, Motorcycles etc.

As I happened to have the old Sky HD box, it seemed a reasonable stop-gap, although it seems in practice less reasonable than I thought it would be :facepalm:
Anyway I do have the Amstrad 1TB box for normal viewing and this approach will have to do for now.:thumbsdow

Cheers.

Masteriser

Roy, if you or a friend can solder, you can repair your Thomson with a bag of bits repair kit from Satcure for around £15.00 (once VAT & P&P are factored in). I can assure you self repair is surprisingly easy on the Thomson units. Failing that, get a professional repair from around £35.00.

There are cheaper sources of spares (especially on eBay) but I would avoid these if I were you, some are poor quality and although you may save a fiver, the box could well fail again pretty quickly, whereas the Satcure kit is guaranteed for three years.

srhill

Yes, I know.

The proper solution would be to buy a proper FreeSat HD PVR, but I've had a lot of expenditure on Cars, Motorcycles etc.

As I happened to have the old Sky HD box, it seemed a reasonable stop-gap, although it seems in practice less reasonable than I thought it would be :facepalm:
Anyway I do have the Amstrad 1TB box for normal viewing and this approach will have to do for now.:thumbsdow

Cheers.

Surely, a better solution would be to get the Thommo as a multiroom box (without HD sub) - this would give you the usual free HD channels plus all SD channels you have on your main sub for only £10.25 pm - a bargain:thumbsup:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Surely, a better solution would be to get the Thommo as a multiroom box (without HD sub) - this would give you the usual free HD channels plus all SD channels you have on your main sub for only £10.25 pm - a bargain:thumbsup:

What part of.. "...If I put the subscription's viewing card into the Thomson, I still only get C4 on HD...."

...is not understandable?

srhill

What part of.. "...If I put the subscription's viewing card into the Thomson, I still only get C4 on HD...."

...is not understandable?

All of it....

You can't just swap the cards over and expect it to work - you have to pair the cards to the boxes.

Surely you should get bbcHD, ITV1HD etc.:confused:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
you have to pair the cards to the boxes.

Cards only need pairing for watching premium channels and recording non-FTA channels. C4HD, BBC HD, BBC1 HD, ITV1 HD, Five HD are all non-premium channels so can be watched without the card being paired. In fact three of them require no card at all as they are FTA, not FTV.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom