Thomson DSI8215 - Vertical Lines

pa1nkiller

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've just switched from an old Grundig Digibox to a Thomson Sky HD box bought 2nd hand. There are vertical lines appearing across the screen on the TVs connected to RF1, RF2 & TV Scart.

I've changed the RF Channel number & switched the scart lead to rule out interference & poor quality leads.

Is this something that can be sorted by replacing the PSU with a refurbished one with upgraded capacitors or is it something worse?

:lease:

Last edited:
To be clear - did you use the same connections with the previous receiver and didn't they give the same problem?

Yes, when first connecting the sky hd box I connected all of the cables that were in the Grundig box to the same sockets on the Thomson box. The problem wasn't on the Grundig box but is on the Thomson box.

It's a problem with the new receiver then, and I suppose if you're trying to use four TVs with it at the same time that might be putting a strain on the power supply. Does it still show up with only one of them working?

I'm getting vertical lines on the adverts on C4HD, only that channel though.
Not that it helps your problem...

I looked at the thread on the Channel 4 HD Vertical lines before posting.

This issue is just terrible picture quality, mainly dominated by the vertical lines, via Scart & RF. I'm going hook up an HDTV to the sky box via hdmi to see if it occurs on that output aswell.

Edit: An HDTV connected to the Sky HD Box via hdmi cable didn't show the vertical lines. The same TV connected via scart cable did show the lines.

Both SCART & both RF outputs are affected. I don't have the appropriate cables to test the component output.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also seem to be getting vertical lines, and like Kev12, I only get them during the adverts on C4 HD.

I'm using a Thomson Sky+ HD box. Does anyone else have this issue?

Is this something that can be sorted by replacing the PSU with a refurbished one with upgraded capacitors or is it something worse?

If the Digibox still has the original capacitors, you can expect symptoms like this. Check to see which capacitors are bulging.

I've replaced the power supply but unfortunately the problem is still there.

pict0313r.jpg

Last edited:
If these are more like transparent vertical bands than distinct individual lines I had similar problem years ago. We had a Thomson non-hd box installed and didn't notice straight away but called installer back shortly afterwards. He tried everything but could not resolve, swapped the box for an Amstrad and everything was ok straight away. Our TV was a Samsung at the time.

I've sent an email to him. I can't see the cost of sending the box + return postage + the repair + parts being cheaper than buying another box but you never know...

Does anyone have any experience of using a component to scart lead? I was wondering whether that might bypass the problem. The cable I've seen is ebay Item number: 310261217241

I bought it from ebay, item no. 260670845157

That's a very carefully worded advert.

It's "manufacturer refurbished" which unfortunately means it's been repaired by the original supplier, using the same poor quality capacitors as they used in the first place. I know, because I bought one in the name of "research"

Now for what it is, that's a very good price. But at that price it will not in any way compare with an "upgraded" thomson power supply.

A properly upgraded one, will use much much better quality capacitors. The best replacement capacitor kit is the Satcure kit, wich with VAT and postage is a little short of £15 just for the capacitors. So nobody can buy decent capacitors, refurbish a psu and sell it that cheap.

So unfortunately you should have asked here first before parting with your cash. Expect to pay £30 or more for a well refurbished and upgraded thomson psu.

I still however don't think the psu is your problem. I think what you have is "hum bars" I wonder if the Thomson box is directly on top of or close to any other electronic equipment? if so try moving it, or turning off the other equipment to see if that helps.

I have 2 shelves underneath the TV - The Sky HD box is on the lowest shelf, A DVD Recorder (rarely turned on) is on the top shelf & a freeview box sits on top of that. I tried turning off everything apart from the TV & Sky HD box earlier today after switching the power supply but it made no difference.

I've sent an email to him. I can't see the cost of sending the box + return postage + the repair + parts being cheaper than buying another box but you never know...

I'm sure it won't be much cheaper than another used (unknown condition) Digibox. How you proceed depends on whether you really need the Thomson Digibox (component outputs). For reliability, bearing in mind its age and current state, it will need the PSU upgrading, Hard Drive replacement and (probably) a repair to cure the line interference.

The alternative is to sell it as "spares or repair" (assuming you are honest) or scrap it. Or you could send it to Michael for a diagnosis (might be interesting) and tell him to keep it for spares if his quote is too high. He might even give you a tenner.

Decisions! :rolleyes:

Michael responded on the 19th of November;

"Are you sure the RF modulator output is not set to the same channel as some other equipment ?"

I replied, saying that I've tried different RF channels and the lines appear on the scart signal too but I've had no response within since the 19th.

The search for a solution goes on... slowly.

I wrote 'analogue outputs' in the 1st email & clarified it included the scart connections in the 2nd email.

I recommend you start again. Michael's a busy man. List all the information as clearly as possible for him. Provide a link to a screen shot showing the interference. (BTW I can't see it in your photo above so you may need to magnify part of it to make it obvious.) List all the tests you've carried out (e.g. you've tried disconnecting the TV aerial to eliminate terrestrial interference).

Will do.

If all else fails, is there a particularly reliable Sky HD box that I should replace this one with? I got the Thomson for the component output but with all the TVs in the house hooked up to the box & a 1TB HDD installed, the recording feature on the box is fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom