Thomson DSI8215 4th Generation or not? Help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bill_hugh, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Bill_hugh

Bill_hugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am planning to buy a Thomson DSI8215 on ebay, bring it back to Ireland and install it myself (I have Sky+ so should be easy).

The problem is there appears to be a lot of contradictory information between the different suppliers there.
    • Some say they have the latest 4th generation boxes (they quote model DSI 8215WDR-89) See here.
    • Some say they have the latest version 4 with the new quiet Seagate hard disk. See here.
    • Then others say they have checked with Sky and Thomson and there is no such thing as a 4th generation box (latest is 3rd generation). See here.

Totally confused, help. :lease:

Bill

2. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    There is no "4th generation" box.

Mines a "DSI 8215WDR-89" (supposedly brand new 4th generation) and I got it months ago.

3. Bill_hugh

Bill_hugh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a mill.
    I will steer clear of those advertising these imaginary 4th generation units so.

Very naughty of them. :thumbsdow

4. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Just to add I got my box from the last supplier you linked and I was very impressed.

5. MILANI5TA

MILANI5TA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ai, I am also looking at that last link you provided, from the 'sky seller'. He also has for £30 a kit that enables you to watch on another tv, which bypasses the monthly fee for multiroom. Sky HD box for under £200, sounds good. Hmmm..

6. MILANI5TA

MILANI5TA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apart from the cost of the box, how much did you have to pay to set it up? Do it through Sky or the seller? Do you have to call them up and notify them etc as Sky HD incurs a £10 monthly fee right?

Sorry for the 20 questions, im just really interested in getting Sky HD to go with my new 40" HDTV.

7. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Its just a spare remote, sky remote eye and a bit of aerial cable. You can buy all these bits from Argos. It just relays the picture out from the 2nd RF connection on the back of the sky HD box and the remote eye plugs into this so that it can in turn relay any remote signals back down the aerial cable to the sky box and hence control it from the other room. It will not provide HD to the 2nd TV as you will need to buy additional component or hdmi cabling to do that.

Also as written in the advert

So tbh - that advert is very carefully written and has very little do with multiroom as sky advertise it which is total independance of channel viewing in each room.

8. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I installed it myself in about 10 minutes. Phoned Sky to pair the card to the box and upgraded to the HD channels and that was literally it. Job done.