Thomson DSI4214 and Sony RDR-HXD870 - do they work together?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stuart5413, Jan 20, 2008.

1. stuart5413

stuart5413
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Have just found this forum and it certainly seems very informative. I have seen various threads which are related to my question but I am still a bit unsure so here goes.

I am thinking of purchasing a Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD recorder and wish to timer record from Sky in a similar way to Sky+ works. (I can only get regular Sky digital and not Sky+ since my block of flats is not dual-wired for Sky+).

I notice that my Sky box (a Thomson DSI4214C) is not included in the list of boxes that are compatible with guideplus. There was another thread where someone was having trouble getting the channel to change using this box but the thread didn't seem to reach a definitive answer.

I will also be using it with a Philips 32PFL7562D TV.

Will I be able to get it to work? I do have an analogue aerial connection as well as the Sky dish - this appears to help with the downloading of the program guide, having read AJBek's thread 'How to set up guideplus with a sky box'.

Thanks for your help.
    Stuart.

2. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if your model of sky box isnt in the list , and if the infra red cannot turn the box over then the timed recordings would not work as the box wouldnt be turned to the correct channel at the correct time

so no it would not work as it relies upon changing the channel over at the correct time to the correct channel

what you can do is put the sky box on the channel yourself , and then record it same as you would with a video recorder , not as good but it would work

the alternative is buy a supported box , change it for yours ( if its off contract ) and ring sky to get the card and new box "paired up"

and in your case a sky plus box will work using the 1 feed , but once its busy you would have to leave it alone recording to its built in hard drive

the twin feed is so you can watch one thing and record another

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,552
    The Thomson DSI4214C is just the latest model of the standard Sky box...all standard Sky boxes use the same IR codes.