1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson DHD4000: disrupted EPG + lost channels

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by House Song, Jul 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our DHD 4000 has developed a couple of problems -

For a couple of weeks the programme description text in the EPG has been a little disrupted - there's inverted commas above every letter "e", and occasionally other letters.

More recently, and more seriously, over the days few days we've had spells where the some channels are lost or mixed-up. It rights itself after a few days, but until this morning we had no Channel 4, no ITV2 and - strangely - E4 appearing through the ITV2 setting.

Where the channel is not present, the screen shows black - but with a soft greenish square (size of a beermat) halfway up the screen on the right hand side. Very odd!

It's about 2 months old, running software 1.7.7 and we've never needed to update/change anything before now. This is the first complaint we've had.

Anyone experienced similar, or got any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

2. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    When you say you have "no channel 4" (for example), do you mean that there is no EPG entry for it, but the channel is still accessible by entering the number directly into the remote?

If so, it sounds as though your EPG is corrupt (and the problems vanish when fresh data is downloaded). So the question is: does the corruption occur in the transmitted datastream, or inside the box? If it's the former (and I have no idea how robust the data transfer protocol is), then there isn't much you can do about it other than improving the signal (maybe it's just weak at the moment).

On the other hand, if the data corruption is occuring inside the box then *maybe* a reboot will help. I am fairly sure this machine has some memory leak issues. I find I need to reboot mine every few weeks - sometimes because it won't respond at all, but more often because it just isn't working quite right. It gets sluggish, and sometimes 'loses' a tuner. My guess is that how often you will see this depends on your pattern of use - how much pausing, rewinding, flipping between tuners and so on you do.

So if you haven't been forced to do this already, try it now!

3. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, and sorry for the delay in replying - been away.

The channel issue is now sorted (by itself!). However, the disrupted text in the programme guide is still there.

More of an annoyance than anything else. How do I reboot?

(sounds like I better learn how to do this for future reference too!)

cheers

4. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just pull the plug (well switch it off) and leave alone for a few mins while you have a beer/tea.

Also a rescan of all channels flushes some stuff out including iirc the epg and the recording list - this should force a full download.

HTH

Tim

5. House Song

House Song

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh right, simple as that!

just to clarify, i'll lose my to-record list; NOT my already recorded programmes?

maybe I'll have a beer AND a tea.