1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson DHD4000 - any good?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by aprout, Nov 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. aprout

aprout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    as header really. Looking to replace my vcr with a hard disc recorder.

This one seems to have all that I want - freeview, twin tuners etc

Any comments welcomed. Good? Bad? Ugly? (well, OK, It's definitely fairly ugly) :)

2. stratman

stratman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is very good, I've had one since March and have had no problems with it. Picture quality is excellent (projected onto 8 foot 16:9 screen). There is a long thread on digitalspy forums although I have had none of the minor problems reported there. It is apparently easy to replace the hard disk with a bigger one although I have yet to run out of space. My box is left on continuously and only goes into standby after the EPG download. I've had no problems with it being noisy as my projector is louder. If it broke I'd get another one, assuming that a twin tuner HDD/DVD recorder at the same price is not available.

Simon.

3. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon it's an excellent unit ... runs a tad noisy but then again it is only a couple of feet from where I sit and it's not in a cupboard at all so normally I doubt you'd even notice it.

Picture quality is superb, would be nice if it had the option of component video output but that's being really picky. "Proper" s-video mini DIN output is a nice touch though. I've had no problems with mine either - I bought it as an impulse purchase and only afterwards did I read the Digital Spy forums and see the problems that some people were having whereupon I wondered whether I'd bought a lemon but no - it's been absolutely superb and I'm seriously considering getting one for the in-laws as it's easy to use too. Seems quite resilient to poor signal problems too - my old Pace OnDigital receiver is a PITA where I live, breaks up constantly, but the DHD4000 seems to rarely glitch and even when it does it holds the last good frame of video and never gives the horrible "fingernails down a blackboard" screach that the Pace does when losing signal.

Phil

4. peterbristol

peterbristol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Thomson sounds great - can someone with one confirm that it also decodes (and records) Freeview digital radio channels? This isn't clear from the reviews I've been able to find; maybe this is a given for Freeview PVRs, but I'm new to the field, so can't be sure. Any pointers to product documentation would also be welcome.

5. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does record "Freeview Radio" to the HD too ... and can output audio as either optical or electrical SP/DIF as well.

Phil