Thomson DHD-4000 playback

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by AndrewHague, Aug 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. AndrewHague

AndrewHague

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just got my new Thomson DVR and I am very happy with it except for one thing. Occasionally the playback of recordings is 'jittery' and skips forward. I thought it might be a reception problem but it doesn't skip EVER while watching a live programme. I've recorded an hour long programme while watching it and only the recording has had the problems not the original broadcast.

Could I have a HD problem or is it a known problem in the software?

2. snelly

snelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    might be HD issue, it certainly seems IMO more likely to get playback problems when you are also recording two ther channels whilst watching a recording. Maybe it is just disk/IO contention.

Tim

3. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I haven't noticed any problems when fully loading the machine in this fashion, although I do suspect that the software has memory leaks, necessitating a reboot from time to time when things start to go awry... (in my case either a complete hang or loss of a tuner).

My speculation (and it is no more than that) is that the jumping is indeed a reception issue, but that the drop-out is handled more gracefully in the live bitstream than in the recording. I haven't seen this myself.