1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson DHD-4000 overheating

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DPhil, Nov 22, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Thomson DHD-4000, it works fine for a while but then locks up, sometimes losing picture and sound, sometime just losing picture but keeping the sound.

It is in my A/V cabinet, plenty of room around it but with some other kit in there - AV amp, DVD and VCR.

I can cure it by leaving a household fan running and pointed at the unit in the cabinet - it will then run all night!

Does anyone have similar experiences or is this likely to be a faulty unit?

I'll return it, but need to know whether to get a replacement or a refund.

Thanks for any advice.

2. davidredge

davidredge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading about this model earlier - i'm in the process of buying a PVR and doing some research...

Apparently, the 4000 does overheat, likely due to the type of hard disk used, so its not a faulty machine, just the design.

Our old video used ot over heat in the TV unit, so we cut most of the rear out and that sorted it. Try just getting air in, save on the fan being used!

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Stick with this, it is far more stable than the Twin, try moving your kit around and increasing the air holes if poss in the cabinet.
    Mine works well, only suffers from the reported gripes which can easily be worked around.

4. DPhil

DPhil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'll try to get more air around it, although it is so hot, I think I may need to build a PC case fan into the back of the cabinet!

I do like the unit, the picture quality is amazing and it's easy enough to use.