Thomson Box has finally died "Dilema"

quattro

Established Member
Reaction score
Well My original Thomson box has finally died and has now been replaced with a brand new one free of charge from Sky, the problem I now have is I used to send a component signal to my Panny P6 pannel in my bedroom which doesn't have a tuner, obviously the new box doesn't have component out so I'm stuck as to how I can get a signal from the new box via component up stairs without a huge cost.
I appreciate I might have to lose the HD signal

Search on ebay for a reconditioned Thomson, and sell your new one as part of the cost towards it?

To get component from the latest HD boxes you will need a converter such as the HD Fury2 - there are other makes but many are reported as not working on the latest HD box software whereas this one is reported as working. No other way of getting a component output from the latest HD boxes.

I'd rather use the scart connection is there an Scart to component connector you can get, know it won't be HD but can live with that.

Personally since the component out is useful to you, I would cancel the sky callout and just repair the Thomson box you have.

You could always ask the installer who turns up if he happens to have a thomson box with him as you use the component video, and you just might be lucky, but don't expect it to have been repaired properly.

is there an Scart to component connector
Yes, a great many of them, but whether they work or not is a different matter.

Sadly, since your bedroom panel is analogue, the the only practical low cost solution to your dilemma involves accepting a major drop in PQ or ditching your new box in favour of a converted Thomson, neither of which is exactly a move forward :).

Personally, I would ditch the panel and get something with an HDMI socket :smashin:.

Sort of resigned to the fact a new bedroom tv is on the cards, just wanted a quick cheap alternative to tide me over.

Sadly, since your bedroom panel is analogue, the the only practical low cost solution to your dilemma involves accepting a major drop in PQ or ditching your new box in favour of a converted Thomson, neither of which is exactly a move forward :).

Personally, I would ditch the panel and get something with an HDMI socket :smashin:.

Went and bought another TV for the bedroom today got another Panasonic TX-P42S21BA so I now atleast have a TV that displays in my bedroom again although only through Coax SD signal :rolleyes: Question is now how can I run a second HDMI cable from the box, bedroom is directly above the lounge TV and both will never be viewed at the same time. So what will I need to get HD back in my bedroom?
PS is there a demand for the Panny P6 panels? Not sure what to do with mine now, hate to throw it away :confused:

So what will I need to get HD back in my bedroom?
A HDMI splitter and a long HDMI cable might do it.
There's also "CAT" cable.

Get an active (powered) splitter. I would recommend Neet as the new boxes can be a little temperamental and this company provides excellent support.

Agreed. I use a Neet powered splitter and cat 5e transmitter/receiver to convey HDMI 25 metres from lounge to dining room. Works very well and if you use twin cat 5e cables, not expensive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom