Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thomson 50DSZ645 better than 61DSZ644?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Ettepet, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, while reading the available reviews (Home Cinema Choice, What Video, Video (German magazine)) I notice that the performance of the 50" Thomson seems somewhat better than that of the 61" model.

This is most obvious when comparing the reviews done by Home Cinema Choice, where the 61" is reported to have a problem with its DLP lamp light flickering at certain angles. As dimensions only differ in the vertical and horizontal and laws of physics make it harder on overly big models I can imagine that the 50" Thomson performs slightly better. Also, the power requirments of lighting a larger area could mean the 50" model has an easier time doing its job.

Anyone who has seen or compared the two?

2. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I went to a shop that had the 61DSZ644 on display and saw absolutely no sign of this 'visible lamp' effect, though of course it might not normally be visible. So that's that. :)

The Thomson was very good, yet dark. It had much better colors than even the brand new Panasonic TH-42PV500 and $$$ Pioneer PDP-505FDE plasma displays, but it had more problems with overly bright screen areas.

I am very interested in watching the 61" playing DVDs, and I am also very much looking forward to a PAL + NTSC capable Themescene 50" or 65". These screens are cool! :smashin: