1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 50DLY645

Discussion in 'TVs' started by welsh113, Oct 9, 2004.

1. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    been on about buying a new DLP rear projection tellie now for about two months and after spending like an hour aday for 2 months trying to figure out the best deal for features ect ect i went with the thomson 50DLY645!!! i have only had it for 3 hours but up to press i can only say one thing WOW!!!!
    if anyone wants any info as there is not much said about this telly just let me know......QED-uk where great to deal with also

2. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am going to have a look at this telly tomorrow could you tell me what connections it has on the back and is the dvi input hdcp what made you go for the thomson instead of the sagem as i am trying to figure out which one to buy myself could you tell me what the dimensions are
    Thanx
    Big Ric

3. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you get a full 1280x720 picture when connected to a PC?

4. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i went for the the Thomson because it is 1000£ cheaper and i like the looks better similiar specs.....the dvi input is hdcp and the anti glare coating is very good(all guestions i asked) lamp is user replaceable and the remote is easy to set up with sky plus ect ect. it has component input and three scarts, dvi and all the usual svideo ect. if you have seen the sony lcd 42inch rearpro then you will have an idea of the depth as for wdith it is 47 inch and 38 inch height.also a great feature is the lamp saving feature dont know if any of the others have it but a good idea. up to press not disappointed but still early days
    :thumbsup:

5. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the instuctions say you can but i have a laptop and doubt very much the video card is up to scratch....sorry cant be of any other help

6. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    thanx for the info just wondered if you took out a extended warranty
    Big Ric

7. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    was seriously thinking about it and you have 28 days to purchase it from qed-uk which by the way is miller bros but i am thinking about not bothering but at the same time with the 200 pound i saved over the samsung 46inch dlp i was thinking maybe the warranty is worth while as it covers the bulb (made several calls around regarding this issue) 388 for 5yrs or i could pay 288 for 5yrs from domestic and general which also covers the bulb (5yrs also).But in the states where dlp has been out for a few years now alot of profession reviews say extended warranty is a rip off as you will prob never use it and if you do it will be the bulb on these sets.........and in a few years time they are expected to be less and i am sure they will be cheaper in the states then here thru there RCA brand (uses the same bulbs).i hope this has helped as the thomson tech support didnt seem to help me much and there is not much info on this set unless you know german..
    have fun making a decision :confused:

8. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Thomson does the resolution, so if you can get your Graphics card to do
    1280 * 720 then yes.
    Most graphics cards won't do this resolution though and if they do you won't get the whole picture on the TV because of the 107% overscan.

9. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you know what the quoted bulb life is? How much are they to replace? and are there 3 bulbs or one?

10. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    there is only one bulb and the lamp life is quoted by thomson as being 8000 hrs which is meant to be about 2 years......dependant on usage of course.the cost to replace is about 200£ but there again that is meant to fall as they get more and more popular

11. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Only CRT RPTVs have three bulbs for the three different tubes, somebody must have mixed that up.

8k hours is ok, Sagem quotes 6k.
    If you say two years you would have to watch 11 hours every day to reach 8k hours in two years.

12. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    in my experience with qouted hours for things they are always on the under ideal situations and to say my household has the tellie on between 5-10 hours aday depending on what day my wife has off so to say 2 yrs for my house hold is about right like i said dependant on usage :)

13. oliver24

oliver24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody even find a picture of this set or the full spec,
    I cant find any detailed info for this or the Samsung,

Being a Lg owner I want to know how these sets behave with
    Skin tones and shaded pictures

14. TechnologyMAn

TechnologyMAn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  16. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Like i said i own the thomson for only one day granted but the skin tones look great to me i have not seen the LG to compare it to but the skin tones and black levels are very good IMO anyways.......if i could come up with a negative so far it would be that the conversion to the native resolution on certain things like say grass (football) causes noise but you do not get the same effect on dvds (must be the feed that sky uses) and after messing with settings i settled on setting that minamized the problem but there still is noise around the players!!!hope this helps

17. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This is just general low bandwidth fizz.It is just that the DLP is so tight that it is more noticeable.Same on the Sagem.

18. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    so there is no way to reduce it until highdef comes out???

19. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Are the side bars in 4:3 material black (or are they that annoying grey? some companies use)

Have any of the owners on the thread noticed any quriks as it does look a great price for this set.

20. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    £1581.68!!!! stay calm... stay calm... I must resist the urge to rush off and buy one now! I must be sensible and wait for the Toshiba. ahhhh! :zonked:

21. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the thing with waiting is when the toshiba comes out it will be better probably yes but then about a month or two later there will be one better then that and then one better then that ect ect.......Look on the americian forums they have a new flavor of the month all the time then they say the old best one is crap :laugh: tellies are turning into computers there is always a bigger newer and better

22. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    went to have a look at one myself this morning at millers in Norwich i liked the look of the set but the quality of the picture was not that great but i think that was down to the staff not knowing how to set it up at all it was showing mtv and i think it was sharing its feed with about twenty other sets when i asked how they were sending the picture to the tv whether it was rgb or svideo he said it was using a scart enough said so just wondered what your buying experience was like, and what way are you connecting your sky and dvd player to the thomson . How would you rate the picture compared to other crt rear projection sets have you seen it in high def mode sorry about so many questions
    Thanx
    Big Ric

23. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the blacks on a copied dvd where not that great (more of a grey) but when i put in a few of my originals to test it out they were blacker then black to me or at least as black as i have seen on any other telly......one quirk i have noticed is that the tellie needs to be eye level but i knew this before i bought it so now i have to buy an expensive stand and get rid of an already expensive stand i had already (too high) and of course fan noise is there too especially when you first start it up whether this is the dlp technology i do not know but after a bit you dont notice it as much....(probably get use to it)

24. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i am replying alot to this thread as i had a problem with lack of info myself sky+ is scart dvd player component but am waiting for samsung 945 dvi dvd player and no high def mode yet picture a thousand times better then sony lcd rear pro IMO and crt rear projection sets i find the screen with the bumpy feel puts me off of the picture during the day but on a night you do not notice it but as i live in england and am not blessed like the some yanks to have a theater room this is one as much during the day as nite so am biased against crt rear pro so my opinion shouldnt count on that one

25. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    is the thomson which you got from qed a grey import or a uk model as i am not sure how it would affect the guarantee
    Thanx
    Big Ric

26. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    its the uk version 50DLY645(uk),50DLY644(eu)

27. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The Samsung set is the Samsung website - Samsung.co.uk

28. big ric

big ric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    thanx for all the answers helped me make my mind up i am going to get one within the next month one last question do you know if it upgades all signals coming in to 720p
    thanx
    Big Ric

29. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    that i do not exactly know.....i wish i could find out i know on dvi input in the manual u can change the settings from 1080i ect ect but i think thru other inputs it upconverts oh and upon receiving it i looked it over and there was some dents in the screen but qed is replacing it as i suspect it was the delivery men so what then as they take it out of the packaging in the van so who knows how they treat it as they are doing so

30. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do Thompson have a DLP TV in the UK which uses the HD2+ processor?