1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 42" plasma - flickery like 50hz?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Orbitalzone, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I was wondering around Currys yesterday, yes that shop where only us AV connoisseurs ever go... ;) and I was looking at the plasmas, slightly drooling and I noticed that the Thomson 42" at £2499 with tuner seemed good value and a half decent image...but when I looke away to the other plasmas, I noticed the Thomson had considerable image flicker out the corner of my eye... none of the other plasmas showed this up.

So, do any plasmas screens run at 50Hz ?..... this Thomson sure looked like it did.... I couldn't find any setting on screen to alter, which suggested it was a basic model.... (sorry I didn't note the model number)

Otherwise it seemed pretty good value ... but maybe it's just older technology made for Currys type customers..... :p

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Most are 50Hz, it's not necessarily related to the flicker, that might well be just the Thompson, I know they get good reviews, but they're not up to latest standards from the big boys in plasma. It could easily be the s**t rf connection usually used by curry's, JL, comet etc. They run all the TV's in the shop from 1 signal and an RF amplifier. If you live in an area of weak reception, perhaps it's a good test, otherwise not. All you are seeing is the screnn's ability to deal with the signal they are feeding it with.

3. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I should have mentioned it was displaying a Currys own store video, using RF I suspect....it's just that it looked good directly viewed but a bit flickery, just like comparing a 100Hz tv next to a 50Hz... both are ok on their own, but side by side shows things up.... anyhow I thought it pretty good for £2.5k with tuner unit thrown in...

Still I'd never actually buy anything ever from Currys.... I see they now do kitchen planning.... says it all really....jack of all trades, masters of none.