Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thomson 40KW413 for £399 at Makro???

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SmokeyBubbles, Oct 3, 2005.

1. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello everyone,

In the market for a new TV and very interested in rear projection as the screens are massive for the money I know the quality is not brilliant but I have looked in Currys lately and I have been impressed but the improvements over a few years ago.

Anyway. got my Makro mail today and see that they are offering a Thomson 40KW413 for £399 (+ 17.5%) = £468 ish.

Is this TV any good??

Also, I saw a Sony KP44PX3 on Ebay for £649 (new) which looks like a much nicer TV

Any advice or help with bargains gratefully accepted

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    General comment only - not specific to the TV you mention.

Many of the new RP TVs you see nowadays in places like Curry$ are DLP models. As a technology, DLP is capable of (in many respects) a substantially better image than the much older 3CRT system. Which is what these really cheap sets are. So - you will find that these are in line with your expectations of about 5 years ago.....

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    It's a lot of TV for the money.

Thomson have had this set in their range for a year at least. It's been in Makro mailer a couple of times, this last time at the lowest price. Perhaps the reason they're discounted so heavily in Makro is that Thomson has struggled to find enough retailers willing to take stock when they already have Toshiba and Samsung RPTVs in store.

Closest equivalents seem to be £699 and above, so the Thomson looks good value.