Thomson 32WM101 any comments?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by David Finch, Feb 12, 2005.

1. David Finch

David Finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our Mitsubishi 28" Widescreen has seen better days. When we look at menus on DVD's some of the lettering is unreadable (bleached out). Today I went to Comet to check out a Toshiba 36ZP48 which I've seen at Digital Direct for £837.96. However Comet didn't have one in stock but while I was there I was quite impressed with the picture and price of a Thomson 32WM101 which they were selling for only £349.99. When I checked the Comet Website it was only £299.99. I phoned Comet and they confirmed this was the online price but couldn't guarantee how long it would stay at £299.99. This seems an amazing price for a 32" Widescreen TV, am I missing something? I realise it doesn't come with surround sound speakers and it's smaller than the Toshiba but as I've been used to a 28" for the past seven years is this a good buy?

Cheers,

David

2. David Finch

David Finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. spirit

spirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in this model too - does anyone have it and can post reactions?

It was reviewed in issue 297 of What Video & Widescreen TV but this is no longer available in newsagents and it doesn't seem to have reached the website archive yet! Does anyone have any idea what the content said about this TV?

4. David Finch

David Finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spirit,

As nobody replied I decided to buy this model but had a problem with the picture alignment - the left side was 1cm higher than the right. I had a look at the manual which said:
    • Rotate Picture:This option is only available with some models. It can be used to compensate for effects produced by the earth's magnetic field and achieve a perfectly aligned horizontal picture.
    I decided to ring Comet who sent out an engineer. He took the back off and said it couldn't be fixed and anyway there was also a problem with convergence. This was what he wrote on his report:
    • No rotation adjustment - convergence out bottom, left and right of screen - CRT out of spec - customer advised damaged in transit - refer back to Comet online.
    I asked him what I should do and he replied "Get a better telly!" So I took his advice and bought a Toshiba 36ZP48 which everyone was raving about. I know it cost alot more but we're really pleased with it.

While I was waiting for the Thomson to be collected, the Toshiba arrived. Side by side they looked rather neat!

Take a look here.

5. spirit

spirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - the Toshiba does look very nice but I don't think I can triple my budget! Comet are doing the Thomson for £300 and the Tosh is listed as £900 on C|Net (although that might be an old RRP)

In the picture, I can't see any alignment problems on the Thomson - is it quite subtle? 1cm seems a lot! Although I guess I could always get a refund if I have the same problem...

I was going to go for a 28"Sony for £300 then got tempted by a 28" 100Hz Samsung - but the salesman said I would only notice the difference with 100Hz on scrolling text - usually there's no difference to the naked eye. Strange for him to recommend the cheaper model - the 100Hz was £50 more expensive - is there any truth in that?

I would stretch to £350 for the Thomson (its £300 without the stand) to get the 32" if the risk is worth it .. I might chance it and hope you got a one-off bad set!

One thing more, do you know if it is magnetically shielded? My HiFi speakers are next to my TV and my current one turns a shade of green when the speakers are on!