1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32WH403 Audio Connections

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Ozimandius, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ozimandius

Ozimandius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I'll say hello :hiya: to everyone here as this be my first post....

I got myself a thomson 32WH403S yesterday, and i';m very pleased with the picture etc - but I have one little thing that I'm trying to work out.

I'm connecting the telly to my Yamaha RXV640 reciever through the headphone socket on the telly (it has no other audio out connections - but it does mention in the manual about using the AV2 socket with a scart/RCA converter). Unlike most TV's I've had, when you plug into the headphone socket, the internal speakers don't mute automatically meaning you have to turn mute on, leaving an annoying yellow icon on the screen!

The main volume control on the telly also controls the headphone volume - inc. when muted. In order to get a audible volume from my HiFi, I have to turn the telly up to ear-bursting volumes (distortion anyone?) - hence having to turn the mute on and having the icon to go with.

Does anyone here know of:

1: A way to connect the TV to my reciever which without having to mute the telly to hear my stereo output

OR

2: A way to remove the annoying 'Mute' logo from the screen

I have thought of a rather drastic way of sorting it - just crack open the telly and disconnect the internal speakers (maybe putting a resistor in place), but that'll void the warranty so it's a last resort.

Many Thanks

Oz

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    That is the most obvious and common route to go..........simply get a scart to video and audio lead.........usually has 3 RCA phono plugs coloured Yellow (Video), Red and White (Audio R&L).

3. Ozimandius

Ozimandius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realize it was that simple - I've never heard of using a SCART socket to output audio from a telly before, I just thought SCART was a one-way communication.

I've got a SCART - SCART + 3x RCA & SVHS converter on the way (I need the scarts I have and I can't abide by switcher boxes - sort of screws up the idea of remote controls!) - so hopefully that'll do the job nicely.

Another quick question - the adapter I've bought has a switch allowing you to select IN/OUT - but in which direction does it mean? (is 'IN' going to the telly, or from?)

4. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,935
    No, it's a two-way communication, it just depends on how the manufacturer has implemented it.
    On the rear panel of TV's/Vcrs etc you will sometimes see a small icon adjacent to each scart socket. The icon consists of a small "rectangle" (representing the scart socket) with a small arrow running partly through it......if it is a single arrow signal flow is in the direction the arrow is pointing.......if it is a "double-headed" arrow the signals flow in both directions (in/out)

"Out" means output from the scart plug pins........"In" means input to the scart plug pins.

Good luck. :smashin:

5. Ozimandius

Ozimandius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the SCART/RCA adapter does do the job of taking audio from the telly - but now I can't fit any other scarts in (dodgy rear panel design).

I've now taken a slightly different route and bought myself the Joytech AV Control Centre 2 ( http://www.joytech.net/product_info...id=79&osCsid=11bbafac57c16cb4908e040efa73352e) - which will solve this problem (hopefully!) and also make life a little easier in other ways.

I'll let people know how the control centre is.

Thanks for the help JayCee.

Regards

Oz