1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32WF45 problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by thepange, Jun 9, 2002.

1. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the Thomson 32WF45?

I'm now on my second set after having major problems with colour staining on the original. Had a bit of a problem getting this new one after the shop wanted to repair the first set after I had only had it for 6 weeks!!

Anyway i eventually got the new one a couple of days ago and of course I am examining the screen for any faults everytime it is switched on!

I have noticed some faint vertical lines on the left hand edge of the screen that go in about 15mm from the edge. They do not seem to move but are noticeable on a white or bright coloured background.

I have got a Grundig Sky Digibox connected to the TV via Gold scart cable, and the lines are visible both on the AV1 (SKY) channel and also on the analoge channels (1-4)

The set cost £850 from a well know high street store, and maybe I am looking for perfection, but now i am kinda wishing I had stuck to my trusty Hitachi 21"!!

If anyone has any ideas or advice I would be greatful cos if this is serious i need to act quickly this time!

Cheers
    :cool:

2. Chris_57

Chris_57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 32WF45 via the internet and had the colour stains all around the screen. The engineer came had a look and said there was a dry joint on the board which controls the deguassing. After he left I also noticed a faint line down the left had side -about 2 inches in. Told the supplier I was not happy. they sent out another set, same problem.
    I even went to Comet and had a look at one there and that too had a red stain on the right.
    I rejected the 2nd set as well and got my money back.
    Ended up buying a Toshiba 32ZD09B, cost twice as much but it's fantastic.

3. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Many Thomson TVs have bizarre colour staining problems, especially when the picture overall brightness is very high. To check this, play a DVD with a very bright scene (the Construct in Matrix; the café conversation between the scientists in 2001: A Space Odyssey; or the Krypton trial in Superman) and freeze one of the whitest frames. In five seconds, you'll get greenish blobs in random parts of the picture.

Regards.

4. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice on this, I think I'm gonna try and get my money back and maybe try another brand.

5. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine had a colour problem too- 28vk25u. Especially on bright colours, left a huge colour stain on the screen....... I got a refund and bought a nice new one from a different brand
    Spunky

6. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres an update on my earlier post re vertical lines on the left hand edge of my Thomson, 2nd set 9 days old.

Just had the engineer round who confirmed the set is indeed faulty - "striations on left" apparently. He said that he has'nt seen that problem on this particular model.

After reading reports on this forum re problems with all the manufacturers, I was unsure what to do, whether to try 1 more set of this model or opt for another brand. It seems that for every person who has had major problems with a particular model/brand, there is another who has been very pleased with the same model.

I have been really pleased with the quality and features on this set, but I must be really f***ing unlucky to have had 2 sets with different problems.

I cant afford to put any more money towards a new set and I would have to do this if I wanted the same specs as on this model.

After all this, I've decided to try one more of this model and just pray to god that my luck is better this time.

I am just sick of the hassle it causes when you have to go back to complain to the shop. I will never buy anything from that shop ever again as all they are bothered about is sales and selling their overpriced warranties. They really dont give a monkeys about their customers when things go wrong, but i guess people find this out the hard way.........

Anyway enough of my ranting, hopefully I will get the new set with no further problems, i'll keep you posted.

:mad:

7. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the new TV delivered today and surprise surprise.........same problem as last one so Comet must have a faulty batch!! Stupid delivery man tried to tell me it was my ariel....funny that, cos I had the signal coming thru the Scart from my Sky box.

Anyway thought i'd better try another brand, after weighing up all the excellent info on this forum, I went for a Toshiba 82ZD16B. The Sony was a bit too much over my budget so got the Tosh for £750 - they gave me a £100 discount as compensation seeing as this will be the 4th set since I bought it in the first place!

So heres hoping this set will be OK when its delivered next week..............

:rolleyes:

8. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    I had the same problem with my Thomson 32WF45. When the set warmed up (took around 30mins) a green patch would appear in the bottom right hand corner.

...and because I had it slightly longer than 28 bloody days, Comet wouldn't replace it! So they had it back yesterday and I had a refund. Strange thing is, I had a letter from them this morning saying they'd arranged for me to have a replacement?!

I've gone and bought a Panasonic 32PL10 now....

Pity, I like me Thomson telly....

9. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well 4 tellies and still no luck.

I had 3 x Thomson 32WF45 all with faults.

Thought I would try the Toshiba 82ZD16B, which also had a fault, strange brown stain in corner which remained even after engineer degaussed.
    I'm actually glad this one had a fault as the quality of the picture was crap especially SKY digibox going thru the RGB scart. Sound wasnt up to much either.

Just went to Comet for a refund and I will be going elsewhere for another TV but only after some more research as to which to go for next.......wish I had discovered this forum before I decided to look for a new TV in the first place!!

:rolleyes:

10. BreadAndScrape

BreadAndScrape

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya mate sorry to hear of your problems. After having 3 Toshibas82.........I went away from 100hz and back to 50hz and went for the Sony kv32ls35 (the ls60 100hz model wasnt out at the time and anyway I think my eyes prefer 50hz) The Sony kv32ls35 has so far performed magnificently, and I cannot find any fault with it. Hope this helps, and as the German officer says in The Great Escape "Good Luck".

11. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe.....cheers mate, need a bit of luck this time!

Not sure what to go for next, I'm thinking at the moment that I might just go for a decent 28" but i'm not sure yet. I did think the picture & sound quality of the Thomson was far superior to the Tosh, but I suppose that was to be expected from a "Comet exclusive" model.

Did you end up getting your Sony from Comet as well or did you go elsewhere?? I did eventually get a refund, but I'm not sure where to purchase the new set when the time comes. I must admit that Comet were pretty good at exchanging the faulty sets, apart from the 1st one which was just over the 28 days old. I think that they will be glad not to see me in the shop again giving them hassle.

I've read good reports on this forum for John Lewis, so I might give them a try. Dont have any independant speciallist TV shops local and definately not going near Currys/Dixons/COMET again!!

:confused: