Thomson 32WB643S. **WOW**

J

jerkyboy

I have been through pretty much every high end TV set over the last few months, all of which had problems.

I had 2 Panny PD30's, 2 Sony's, 3 JVC's and a Philips.

I almost gave up hope, but I thought I would give the Thomson a go, fantastic value at £800 and on paper very high specs.

This TV puts every other manufacturer, particularly Sony and Panasonic to shame. The picture quality is simply outstanding, and the specs are mind blowing.

Pal/NTSC progressive scan, 100hz with ZERO smearing, great sound quality. Even the menus are impressive with all kinds of features.

It may not have the looks of the Panasonic but its £500 cheaper and better in every way. AWESOME

It's reviewed on this site btw.

I think it looks fab myself and it got a good rating.

It's a Hi-Pix set, what do you think of this?

Any niggles?

Hi Jerkyboy
I'd appreciate your views if you are using this with gaming consoles via RGB.
Cheers :smashin:

I got this set mainly for use as a gaming TV with my Xbox and PS2.

I have always found the Xbox to be a bit on the blurry side in the past but the Thomson via a decent RGB scart makes everything look superb, I can honestly say I have never seen it looking better.

The PS2 I have connected via component as there are a few games that support progressive scan. This is where the TV really shines. I have a demo of Soul Calibre 2, when played in progressive scan I have never seen a picture so sharp and clean. Its almost like playing a PC game on a monitor !!.

Even stuff that runs in normal interlace via component looks fantastic.

HiPIX works a treat, the screen is totally flicker free with not a hint of smear.

I know it sounds as if I am going over the top with this TV but I am so blown away by how good it is, especially at the price of £799 from comet).

How panasonic can charge £1500 for the Panasonic PD30 is a joke, this set is better and cheaper end of story.

Thanks for the reply.
It certainly sounds good. I will have a look at one in Comet, because from the pictures I have seen it looks like it only has 1 small shelf in the middle.
I would prefer it to hold my 2 xboxes and my gamecube, but maybe I am asking too much for the pricely some of £800.
Cheers again :clap:

It does only have one shelf, and its not very big. My centre speaker will not fit on the shelf as the built in subwoofer hangs down quite alot at the back.

I take it you have two Xbox's as one is chipped. Have you tried progressive scan on it yet ?. I am seriously considering getting mine modded purely for the better picture quality. Why the hell Microsoft dont just allow Progressive scan on UK machines is a mystery to me.

Was looking at this actually to replace my knackered zp38.

However, my missus thinks the big bulgey subwoofer looks, and i quote, 'silly, looks like it's about to give birth' (She wants a Loewe....don't they all :suicide: )

I wouldn't be using the stand, would it really look that silly on a cabinet?

Build your own made to measure cabinet for your centre speaker/DVD/DTT box, like I did and then you can get the cheaper one without the stand.

:thumbsup:

jerkyboy said:
I take it you have two Xbox's as one is chipped. Have you tried progressive scan on it yet ?. I am seriously considering getting mine modded purely for the better picture quality. Why the hell Microsoft dont just allow Progressive scan on UK machines is a mystery to me.
I haven't tried a hi-def pack yet, but if I buy the TV I would be definitaly considering it.

jaminblack said:
do thompson do a 28" version with similar performance?

Couldn't find one when I had a look.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom