Thomson 32WB643S - Subtitles problem

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mark TKO, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Thomson 32WB643S.

This TV is working fine and the sound and picture are superb - not to mention the excellent teletext memory !

However I was watching a programme the other day where people were speaking with strange accents (!) so I put subtitles on to help me tell more clearly what they were saying. However I noticed that the subtitles never updated as they normally do. When I put in 888 what came up on screen was what was currently being spoken - then it would freeze and never change. The only way to update it was to reinput 888 to effectively reload the teletext page. You would have to do this every time to update every time someone spoke though !! This happens on every channel so its nothing to do with the broadcaster so it has to be the way the teletext functions with the TV.

Is there a setting somewhere in the teletext functionality does anyone know ? I can't find it.

Grateful for any help

2. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson phoned me last night regarding this problem and said that this was a fault with my particular set - it had taken over a week for them to get back to me.

However I have just been to the local Comet and tested it on their model in the store. The same thing happens.

This means that either :

i) it is a common fault with the Thomson 32WB643S and Thomson are lying to me!
    ii) there is a faulty batch of this particular model in the country - I own one of them!
    iii) the problem lies with the broadcaster in this particular UK region (I live in West Yorkshire)

I would be grateful if any other owners of the Thomson 32WB643S could test their TV for subtitles on page 888 and see if they get the same result as I have

Thanks

3. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where did you get it from, i wouldn't mind having a look at one in the show room. i'm in leeds

cheers

4. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought it online from comet

The only Comet store that has one in the showroom is the Huddersfield one !

Its an excellent TV - unless you are deaf !

5. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see there are now other Thomson 32WB643s owners on this site now

Can someone please test the subtitles problem I refer to above and let me know the outcome

thanks

6. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark ,

I have one coming on Wednesday 4th Feb. I can let you know then. I'm looking forward to this set. I have a P+ at present and although I don't expect it to be as detailed I'm hoping the picture is a bit more friendly across all platforms.

Bazza

7. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks

look forward to hearing from you

am sure you won't be disappointed with the set !

8. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark TKO,

Got the TV yesterday and tried the subtitle as requested. Like you say, it only displays one or two lines and then that's it. Even if I press 888 again I don't even get an update, its always the same text. Must a common fault with this model. I'm still getting used to the set so can't make any more assumptions yet.

Bazza

9. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate

I thought as much. I had a message on my answer phone from Thomson last night. They want me to give them a ring on Saturday and want me to be 'in front of the TV with the instruction manual open in front of me ' !!

I will let you know what they say but it is obviously a design fault.

Another thing a friend suggested is that it could be the regional broadcaster.

I am in West Yorkshire, where are you ?

Mark

10. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I dont use it but checked for you and its the same on my set.

Im in Staffordshire so doubt anything to do with broadcaster.

11. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I don't use it as a rule but had to for this one particular programme - and will no doubt if there's ever another series of Rab C Nesbitt !!

It should work though when you have paid nearly £1000, I will forward this to Thomson and see what they say

Mark

12. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy a new 16:9 32" CRT TV soon.

It looks like the Thomson 32 WB 642 S is a very good set.
    Do you recommend it? Pros and Cons?

How does it perform with progressive scan signals as input with component connectivity?

How do you compare it to the Panasonic TX-32PD30D?

Thanks!

13. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the senior engineer from Comet, where I bought the set, on the phone regarding this problem - I logged it with them ages ago !

He has spoken to Thomson who will be issuing an 'upgrade chip' for this TV set in the very near future.

It should resolve the subtitles problem with the set and enhance the teletext memory (I have noticed the teletext memory is pretty poor on channel 3 - anyone else noticed this ?)

Anyway it is something they can come out to your home and install without having to take the set away.

Suggest anyone with a set who wants this upgrade speaks to their retailer ASAP to make sure they are not missed !!

14. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if this problem also affects the Thomson 642 S?

That is the model number sold in Europe, outside UK.

Thanks!

15. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know mate the problem is just restricted to UK sets - something to do with the way subtitles are broadcast here, so you should be ok

May be worth emailling Thomson just to make sure though - they are usually pretty good and respond within 24 hours

Mark

16. thewolf

thewolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have the Thomson email address?

Thanks!

17. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go onto the thomson site and theres a 'contact us' option

it differes depending on which country you are in

Mark

18. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my set for two days - I live in Norfolk and I also have the same prob with 888 subtitles.

Try this as I think I have found another fault.

When in PIP/Dual screen mode - pressing "freeze" should pause the 2nd pic. Pressing "ok" freezes the main picture.

Anyhow I have found that if I press "freeze" it pauses the main picture the same as the "OK" button.

I initially emailed Thomson about the 888 problem - they told me to contact the retailer who I bought it from - didn't think that was helplful as I got mine from "Unbeatable".

Mark TKO - So your saying they will pop in a new firmware chip - isn't that Thomson's responsibility?

How would Unbeatable do this for me - it would cost them plus all the other people who bought this TV from them.

"As I am partially deaf I reply on teletext 888 - that is one of the main reasons why I need this function" - Well that's what I told Thomson !

Still if I buy a TV - I expect it to work 100% especially since it's documentated in the manual.

Think I can remember the recall on a make of car because of steering probs or the one where the engine was catching fire. the company replaced faulty components NOT the supplier.

Let's keep this post going.......

19. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Go back to your retailer initially , its up to them to then deal with Thomson. Thomson I guess will be incurring all the costs imposed on them so that shouldn't be a problem.

The bottom line is the tv doesn't work as it should.

Comet last rang me a couple of weeks ago to say that they were still dealing with the problem and waiting for Thomson to provide the upgrade. I will chase them up next week and let you know.

Have not used the freeze option as yet but will check it out.

Another thing I noticed was with the teletext memory - its brilliant on BBC channels but not so good on ITV, even if you stay on ITV and revisit a particular page in same session it often takes a while to load up.

Have you noticed this ?

20. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Teletext seems fine - I read teletext everyday just for local news/main news - I suppose eventually this will will be digital making analogue teletext obsolete.

It's a pity ITV didn't have a sky active system so could choose local/region/main news.

I bought my TV from Unbeatable and after finding the usual teletext 888 problem I contacted Unbeatable.

They said if I wanted to, they would collect it free of charge and I would get a brand new one direct from Thomson or if I wanted I could have my money back, however I do like this TV.

Still thinking what to do about it - I don't have the original box but Unbeatable said to use any box. I might try and put the old box together, just tape it all back together.

What do you guys think?
    Are there new functions and other software fixes.

The freeze frame does not freeze the PIP, only the main picture which is the same as the OK button.

21. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Have thomson even confirmed if they have fixed this issue ?

Its not going to be an issue for me as I only use sky/dvd/games.. I don't use analogue at all..

Matt

22. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson have confirmed it in an email they returned to me, they call it the, "teletext sync problem" which means they have a name for it and therefore are aware of it. They told me to return it to my retailer to have it inspected - WHY?

Also my retailer (Unbeatable) just said return it and Thomson would send me a new one direct - meaning presumably a fixed one.

Mark TKO says's he is stilling waiting to hear from Comet though, but I would have thought Thomson would have been selling 100's of these TV's in the UK. It's gonna cost them to replace Rom chip and send out TV's so I would have thought this is something they would wanna fix quick so as not to encure further charges.

What other software bugs are there?
    Anyone else?

23. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I'll try and test it when mine arrives... at is coming from empire it may be a different batch ??

Cheers

Matt

24. SimonY

SimonY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt - you could try telling Empire that you know that there is an issue with the Teletext, that there are fixed televisions available and could they ensure that you get a fully functional one. This may delay the delivery of course.

Gort - now just the dilemma of deciding whether to have mine replaced or not. I don't like having something not working properly but there is always that doubt that it will take time for a replacement to get here, have the green tinge problem or something worse. Very tricky - I do wonder how long all of this will take. Kept my box in case of a problem so don't have that issue. Where you find a box of that size I have no idea! What is the significance of the 18 days?

25. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 18 days - Well when I phoned Unbeatable to complain about the "teletext 888 subtitle" problem they said if you want they'd come and collect it free of charge - that is a guarentee they offer in the first 21days - since I'd had it a couple of days - I have another 18days to consider what I want to do.

I had the old box in the garden - ripped at the side where I got the TV out. I've put it in the shed for now so if I send it back I'll just tape it up with some heavy duty tape.

Tried the "freeze" bug yet?

26. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gort

This is exactly what Thomson told me - return it to the retailer. I asked myself the same question - why ? They know there is a fault so what good would inspecting it do !

I am reluctant to let Comet take my TV away as there's no telling when I will get it back. Also I do really like the set and the PIP function is excellent particularly when there's live football oN !

Not many TVs have this functionality - can't understand why.

I will ring Comet later today and let you know outcome

Mark

27. SimonY

SimonY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have similar misgivings about returning my television - perhaps not to see it for ages. Some of the horror stories about other suppliers on these threads (TVs away for 6 months etc.) make me very worried. I'm not sure why Thomson have their attitude. One possible reason is that this is a bug introduced in the latest software and that to fix it they have to go back a version - this may cause other problems to come to light. Alternatively the new code may be 'beta' only (i.e. in test) so not approved for all televisions and therefore not on general release. One good way to test it is to get it out with users of course. It's a pity that they can't feel they should be honest about it and let people know what the issue is and what they are doing about it.

I'm not convinced about the 21 days bit. For a full refund effectively no questions asked the 21 days may be important. However if it is faulty then I can't see how this applies, there is the warranty and the most recent sales of goods legislation to take into account as well.

Gort - I get the same PIP freeze problem. Have tried all combinations of PIP and PAP with the freeze and ok buttons and can only get the master picture to freeze. I'm not really concerned about this myself, other than the fact I like things to work as described.

28. Mark TKO

Mark TKO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon

Have you also noticed that the teletext memory functionality doesn't work as well on ITV ?

As I said above this works excellently on BBC but most of the time ITV is poor.

Could be down to regional broadcasting I guess - I live in West Yorkshire

Mark

29. SimonY

SimonY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Can't say that I've noticed. Away from home for a few days - will check as soon as I can for you.

Still have to decide what to do about the subtitles problem!

Simon

30. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well that's three bugs confirmed:
    1.Teletext Subtitles 888.
    2.Freeze of PIP & PAP.
    3.Poor ITV Teletext.

I have found that I am getting a slow moving line from left to right on AV3(front).

Calling Unbeatable Sat to arrange a collection and a replacement with bugs fixed. Will write down software version before I return though so I'll let you all know.

www.red-sector-a.dsl.pipex.com