1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32WB643S, progressive scan ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jerkyboy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this TV definately capable of pal and ntsc progressive scan ?.

Any problems with this set, it seems a real bargain.

Cheers

2. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the 32WB643S an update to the 32WB642 or is it a different current model ?

3. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Jerky boy.

I'm currently lookinng into this matter, and so far I've been told by Thomson that the 32WB643 isn't compatible with NTSC Progressive scan.

It is, of course, compatible with PAL Progressive scan, as the official product sheet states.

But, since, U.K Xbox games don't come with a PAL progressive scan feature, you'll have to play the U.S games to enable this feature.

So, back to the question of whether it's compatible with an NTSC 480p video signal, I'm waiting for Thomson to to clarify this.

As for Playstation2 and gamecube PAL/NTSC Progressive Scan, I've not even looked into this yet (will eventually).

Anyone else have more info on the matter. Any other Widescreen CRT Direct-View TV sets compatible with both NTScand PAL progressive scan via component connection (I've yet to find any)?

(the 32WB643 & 32WB642 are the same.)

4. Bender

Bender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers, realised they were same model.

So far all TVs either seem to be pal or ntsc progressive, but never both. Is there some sort of technical limitation that stops the TV supporting both?

5. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ".......all TVs either seem to be pal or ntsc progressive, but never both. Is there some sort of technical limitation that stops the TV supporting both?"

I'd sure as hell like to know the answer to that. I've been looking to buy a new TV set for ages now, but so far, I can't find anything out there that'll accomodate my collection of European and American videogame-consoles.

If anyone out there knows of a CRT TV that can do both NTSC & PAL progressive scan via a component cable, please please let me know.

6. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it seems there are such CRT TV sets out there afterall; here's a number of them:

JVC HV-32D40
    JVC HV-32P37SJE

Panasonic TX32PD30C
    Panasonic TX 36PL32

Now, I can't wait to get my hands on one of these bad-boys.

7. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I have the Thomson and it DOES do pal AND ntsc progressive scan.

8. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Thomson have got back to me with an answer, and you're right, it does do both.

I don't understand why the official product sheet doesn't state that kinda information though.

Anyhoo, I've since found a number of other TV sets that are compat with NTSC & PAL progressive scan. Now, which one do I buy.....