1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32WB643 problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chrisaaaaa, Jan 12, 2004.

1. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had one of these a couple of weeks now, the picture is awesome but I have a problem with the sound.

I find that it mixes the sound from all the AV sources, so if I am recording TV while watching DVD I get 2 lots of sound.

I have tried asking Thomson, a pointless waste of time, and the retailer does not have any in stock, so who can I ask if this is normal. Anyone here got one?

The retailer, unbeatable, is fine, they will swap or refund at my choice. If they are all like this I will try to find another model with decent 100Hz and at least 3 scarts, but costs no more - not easy.

PS: Does anyone know the code for the remote for a Daewoo freeview box. So much for the learning remote :)

2. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Well, I don't own one , but thinking of getting a 642 which seems to be a mainland equivalent of 643. You can find some ownwers of this TV here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99029 .

Please read the thread and give your comments on picture quality. Especially digital sat in comparison to DVD and analog. Also, have you had a chance to try prog scan?

Cheers

PS
    Remember, you can always use the search button;)

3. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also had one for a week now and have had no probs with sound. What AV sockets are you using and with what input? I've basically got SKY digital into a Panny E50 recorder, both outputing RGB hooked up to AV1 and a HK2550 DVD player RGB into AV2. AV4 I've got component from the player but the picture I'm getting is not as good as RGB scart but I'm working on it.

jurass - I've got SKY digital hooked up and the pictures on the whole are great. It does depend on the source. I guess the best example is when archival video footage is shown on the news, the picture can really be awful wheras the news (SKY or BBC) PQ is great. The same with movies and TV shows. Some movies on SKY are almost DVD quality but some can have digital artifacts - but are never unwatchable. The new series of "Enterprise" on SKY ONE blew me away with the PQ. I'm having trouble with component with a grainier picture with prog scan - but I only received the cables yesterday and I may still not have the right settings in relation to the player. The picture with DVD RGB scart are still fantastic. HTH

4. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scarfie,

Glad to see it not just me who ignore the stuff in the manual about squandering AV2 (RGB capable) for a VCR.

I have tried it both ways,

AV1 = Freeview
    AV2 = DVD
    AV3 = VCR

and

AV1 = Freeview
    AV2 = VCR
    AV3 = DVD

If I do not switch the VCR to standby I get audo from both when watching freeview.

Chris

5. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your input scarfie. regarding your proscan picture, you probably did not have a chance to try the HK thru proscan on any other TV. might be an interesting excercise if you don't get the problem sorted out on your Thomson.

before I make my final decision I'll take my DVD to a store and try it on with both RGB and proscan. unfortunately I won't be able to try digaital sat there which is of my bigger concern. still, 32FX68 waits patiently as a safe choice.

6. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had anything plugged into AV3 but I can safely say that i have had no interference between AV1, AV2 and AV4 with all operating at the same time. When I get home I'll plug the VCR into AV3 and try all four going at the same time. I'll let you know.

7. jurass

jurass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to ask so far if it is possible to switch off the advanced picture processing, so it doesn't mess up poor quality transmissions. Probably not as I don't remember anybody mentioning this, but I just wanna make sure.

8. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture modes go, HiPix, 100Hz and Prog Scan. You do not seem to be able to drop all the way back to 50 Hz.

It has a bevy of other gizmos, but they can all be disabled.

9. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chrisaaaaa, I filled all the AV sockets with devices last night, all of them playing different things and no interference. Sorry mate, it looks like you've certainly got a problem. Hope it gets a fix.

jurass, there's also different modes of picture, for example, sport and film as well as your own personal setting. So far the "film" setting seems to give the best picture for normal TV watching. There's still a lot I haven't gone thru' yet.

10. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Scarfie, thanks for the feedback, I went back to the retailer, they were great, do I want a new set next day or a refund, I got the new set this morning.

Only problem, it also has distorted sound. Did you try things like pausing the DVD to see if you could hear other input when it should be silent, or listening to the decoder while the DVD was playing a loud bit?

Chris

11. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,
    I've just had another go with everything playing through all the AV channels and even turned the vol up, paused the DVD, paused the video and still no sounds coming from the other inputs. Sorry mate, it looks like you may have been unlucky again.

12. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find it hard to believe 2 are broken in the same way - I have tried to get Thomson to try it.

Had more fun by feeding a signal into the line out, it comes out the speakers!

On the line out, have you connected this to a real amp, on mine the level is controlled by the volume control, a bit naff.

13. chrisaaaaa

chrisaaaaa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will give up and put up with it, the picture is really good.

One benefit of the change, the second came with the correct remote (like the manual), rather than a disclaimer that the learning remote did not come with the set.