1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32WB643 owners please help!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bigweed, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am planning on buying the above TV and was wondering whether the problems highlighted on some other threads on this forum have been sorted out yet, eg teletext not working, etc.

Also, can anyone tell me what the PQ is like with analogue and freeview pictures, DVD pics are obviously great as everyone raves about them.

Also, what problems have people had with this TV??

Many thanks to everyone who can give me some advice. :thumbsup:

Bigweed

2. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the problems still exist as I recently emaled Thomson and they said the problems are still being worked on.

1.teletext subtitles
    2.freeze button
    3.two moving black lines on front av

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I've got a Thomson 28WX411S and that has two almost invisible translucent vertical lines on the front av sometimes. Perhaps its a simiilar problem. The thomson design is stupid in that scart no. 3 and the front av share the same channel. On my set the problem is solved by a strong s-video signal so I'm guessing the problem on the newer sets is because the thomson design is degrading the signal strength too much like mine. Its a minor problem on mine though and you really have to look for the lines and they aren't visible most of the time. Scart 3 has the same problem to a lesser extent compared to the front sockets and scart 1 and 2 don't have the problem at all although I wonder if I fed either of them a weak composite or s-video signal it would have the same problem. I've no complaints about my set though. Its generally superb. It is a 100hz set with intelligent digital mastering. Its only 28" but weighs about 55kg!

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I only use mine for SKY/DVD and video games so I have not seen the subtitle issue yet.. though the freeze button only works for the main picture.

But for me the PIP/PAP is a bit of a gimmick and being able to freeze the picture is not an issue for me at all.

I have not black lines or bars on my front AV sockets at all.. I have tried a xbox/GC etc etc.

Very happy with the picture quality.. DVD is gorgeous (I'm using prog scan from my Arcam).

Gort what did you do in the end? Have you bought a different TV ?

Cheers

Matt

5. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, do you know whether these problems can be fixed via some kind of software that Thomson would supply? Or is it best to see if a fixed set will appear soon?

thanks

Bigweed

6. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt - no I have't bought a new tv yet - I'm back 2the drawing board as u say.
    I've emailed thomson and they've still looking into the "issues" with this tv.

Every time I c the delivery man he now waves at me considering he has been 2my flat 5times !!!. When I got the 2nd tv Unbeatable had took the remote control out of the box cause they said I never returned the 1st so they had to send me the remote again. TV past ten houses, up and down the stairs 4times and paintwork scraped on the walls is a lot of hazzle AND u know this is a heavy tv!!!.

They have a Goodmans plazma tv in Argos also the same tv is in Dixons but under a different brand name.

I did like the Thomson but the two fast moving lines going from left to right is worst than the chinese water torture. U can handle it at first but then it gets unbearable especially in light scenes.

Also the teletext problem effects the "guide function" - it seems to work sometimes then it doesn't. The tv should hold all the tv teletext pages for each channel but it doesn't and u have 2set it again (holding the reveal button for 5seconds) every time u turn on which is annoying a I use analogue cable. U can set it to turn to a channel when a program starts

Think I'll just wait abit - maybe thomson will resolve it soon or they may release a new model soon considering they've releasing new plasma and rp tv's.

thx

7. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ps....I thought the "freeze pip" would be handy using my cctv so I can freeze it when some-1's at the door.

8. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strange about the black bars - I had two tv's with the prob using svhs front in.
    Tried with pc, dvd & sat.

As for fixing the probs - some-1 earlier mensioned about a "new chip fix" but I don't think it's true - I think the only way to have these "issues" (THOMSON'S NAME FOR FAULTS) is with a replacement tv.

After all who will pay for the tv to be serviced - can it be done on your property (insurance) or has the tv got to be sent somewhere meaning time without your tv and wot condition will it come back in.

As for the black bars - I would think this is some sort of hardware problem.

At the end of day if you want this tv working 100% and who doesn't then I'd wait for a new model to be released or if you can find out that thomson have fixed this issue - only prob there is that you'd have to be certain that your retailer has a fixed one and not an old one, this would show up on the firmware version I'd expect.

Any use to u bigweed?

9. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks gort, its so tempting to just buy it as i have been waiting ages for a new tv, but i think i will hang on a little longer. if they dont fix it soon i may just go for the 9618 tho, so they better get moving!!

bigweed

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    My top priority was for a perfect picture.. as after reading about issues with sony/panasonic etc it seems that its pot luck so to speak. I would have been happy with a 32" monitor as the internal tuner/sound is never going to be used.

But with regards to the picture its amazing.. but itseasy to get into the service menus if you want to fiddle around :).

No ideas as to how Thomson are going to fix the issues.. I expect the first I will hear about it will be here on the forum. I have not pursued my vendor about my particular tv though.

Cheers

Matt

11. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Gort, how could you tell with the firmware version whether it is old or fixed?

Cheers

Bigweed

12. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into the "service menu" using the tv controls, hold down -VOL first then hold down -PROG, do this for 8seconds then the menu pops up.

At the top of the screen u will c the firmware version. Being an expert on this tv, since I've had TWO of em, the version will read:

Soft-ver: ITC222_V100-0

ITC22 is the chassis no.
    V100-0 is firmware.

Thomson are very vague about the problems with this tv. They always tell you to return it to your retailer to be repaired, if not to contact them.

They won't admit any fault and just will say that you have a one off problem, however when I told them that I've had two faulty sets + all the guys on here with the same problems they just said they'd look into it and thank-you for informing of these "issues" - they don't like the word "fault".

Anyhow after sending that I got a repy back which was basically the same as the first email I sent them which was to return it to your retailer.

I think these letters are just picked from a list. I send another back to say again that I don't even own a Thomson tv.

You'd never guess what reply I got to that. Here is part of it.

"AS EXPLAINED BEFORE, PLEASE RETURN YOUR TV SET TO YOUR RETAILER FOR REPAIR".

I've actually send Thomson around 20 emails under different email adresses and names with different questions to catch em out.

This one takes the p.i.s.s.

I sent an email with this, "IF I BUY A THOMSON 32WB643S CAN YOU GUARENTEE THAT IT NOT HAVE THE "KNOWN" ISSUES (THEIR LANGUAGE).

This is part of the reply:

WE CAN NOT GUARENTEE THAT THE TV YOU BUY WILL NOT HAVE ANY OF THE MENSIONED ISSUES.

Not good enough, if I buy something I want it working 100%.

Everyone on here should send Thomson an email about their tv's then post their replies back on here. OR even set up a new thread.

I don't know if these tv's can be bought bug free - but if you wanna get one I woudn't take the gamble unless you know better first.

But if you get one, the bugs will spoil your enjoyment, as did me.

Hope that helps you all......

13. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've Set Up A New Thread - It's At The Begining Of The Crt Forums.