1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 32LB220B4

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spur4awin, Feb 15, 2005.

1. spur4awin

spur4awin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone on this forum who has some experiense of this thomson Lcd ?
    looks like it has good specs:
    Contrast 800:1
    Brightness: 550
    Fall time : 8ms
    raise time: 8ms
    double tuner
    virtuall dolby surround: 2 * 12w + 16w
    3 scart + dvi (hdcp) ,s-video

2. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever get any more information about this LCD TV? I am considering getting one but cannot find any reviews or opinions anywhere. The specs look good on paper.

Is it 15/9 or 16/9? I've seen conflicting specs even on Thomson own web site.

3. epigout

epigout
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

5. mooseepoo

mooseepoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know anywhere that is stocking this TV?

I am very interrested in it. It looks a fantastic bit of kit!

Does anyone know if it can be wall mounted?

6. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cheapest place I found it so far is at HiFi components in Germany. ~€1,600
    http://www.hificomponents.de
    Not sure where it's available in the UK.

7. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found it here for UK .

I believe specs can vary from country to country .

Puffer .

8. Corelli

Corelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the Thomson, but returned it. I now bought a Hitachi 32LD7200.
    It is a true 16:9 display.
    The picture quality is very good, very crisp, clean and natural. The presets are crap, for my taste, but with a little tweaking you can do a lot. All details in dark and bright areas are visible.
    It has two fans, which I didn't notice with normal sound level. My Xbox is twice as loud.
    The plexiglas pane looks cool but is pretty reflective, so place your lights beside or behind the set.
    Although not mentioned on the website and the manual, it has 14:9. But in 4:3 or 14:9 mode the edges of the picture (of course in these modes there are black bars left and right) are not clean as with other panels. There is a glowing strip of about 4 or 5 pixels.
    The backlight isn't very even (or well-balanced? I'm german...). After running for about 30 minutes, you can notice brighter light in the lower left and upper right corner of the screen.
    Now the reasons for dumping it:
    1. HD ready: I tested all resolutions via component - everything ok. But later I got a Samsung HD745 DVD, which has DVI and can upscale to HD res. With 720p/50Hz the Thomson only displays in black&white. I tested the Player with other sets (Philips, Acer, Hitachi) - full color there.
    2. You cannot switch Aspect Ratios when in ANY HD modes. With 720p or 1080i this is ok, because these modes are always 16:9. But some Xbox games are 480p and 16:9 (480x853), others are 480p and 4:3 (480x640). When playing 4:3 games in HD, you always get 16:9, which means totally wrong proportions. My Hitachi does the job without problems.
    If there is another question, just ask.

9. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your views on the Thomson. I saw the 27" version in a store and the picture did indeed look very good - even better than some of the more expensive Philips along side, but I did wonder about the glass pane and how reflective it would be.

Does the TV have progressive scan? I don't play games so the lack of switching aspects in HD is not a problem. I cannot comment about the black and white in HD as I don't have any equippment capable of HD at the moment.

Your first comment about it being true 16:9. Is that referring to the Thomson or Hitachi?

10. mjbower

mjbower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corelli,

whats your view on the Hitachi ? would you recommend it ?

11. Corelli

Corelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The specs say: 'Vertical frequency: progressive'
    Is it that what you mean? Is there any LCD without this feature? I thought this was part of the LCD technology in general.
    And yes, the Thomson is 16:9 with 1368x768, although some (official) datasheets are contradictional. I don't know how they let this happen. They did not correct this until today.

12. Corelli

Corelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely! I can only say: WOW! This is some panel. I had to pay about EUR 100,- more than for the Thomson, but I am glad I did so. Ok, this doesn't sound very neutral. But to me it is the best LCD-Picture I have seen so far, and as far as I know it is the only IPS Panel on the market at the moment. But maybe I'm wrong with this...
    Since this is a Thomson-thread, I will stop here. There are Hitachi-topics here, and Ii think there are a number of people who like the 32LD7200 as much as I do. BTW - no backlight buzz with my set.

13. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must say I like the look of the Hitachi 32LD7200 Correlli

Le jugement de la Fnac :
    Thomson insiste a nouveau la ou beaucoup de LCD pechaient auparavant, a savoir le son, avec le DPS+ qui le traite via des haut-parleurs en titane, et un caisson de basses integre. De quoi procurer de belles sensations lors des DVD et autres sources explosives. Lfimage est quant a elle servie par le systeme Hi Pix HD. Le tout est servi par une connectique tres complete, permettant la compatibilite TV HD. Enfin, le design bicolore avec la finition noire laquee est tres qualitatif.

Diagonale de lfimage : 82 cm
    Dimensions sans pied : 945 x 580 x 125 mm
    Poids : 23 kg
    Tests labo
    Luminosite : 305 cd/m2
    Contraste : 564 : 1
    Temps de reponse :
    20 ms
    Qualite tuner : 13,3/20
    Note technique

Bot translation from the pdf:

The judgement of Fnac: ''Thomson insists again where much LCD fished before, namely the sound, with DPS+qui treats it via titanium loudspeakers, and an integrated box the low ones. What to get beautiful feelings at the time of the explosive DVD and other sources. L ' image as for it is been useful by the system Hi Pix HD''.

''The whole is been useful by a very complete connector industry, allowing compatibility TV HD.Enfin, the two-tone design with the enamelled black completion is very qualitative''. I hope you could understand some of that . :confused:

Note different specs :

''Diagonal of L ' image: 82 cm Dimensions without foot: 945 X 580 X 125 mm Weight:23 kg Tests laboratory Luminosity:305 cd/m 2 Contrast:564:1 Response time: does 20 ms Quality tuner:13,3/20 Note technical??? '' .

They only rate it with *** on FNAC and it seems pricey here in UK .

Puffer .

14. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'll take a closer look at the Hitachi too. What I liked about the Thomson is the PIP feature which is not available on many LCD displays at this price level. Also liked all the connection options.

15. cyberdude

cyberdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correli - I sent you a PM.