1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 28WR25UG and 28WF25UG

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MrSpiggot, Jun 17, 2002.

1. MrSpiggot

MrSpiggot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to decide on a sub £500 50Hz 28" and after reading bad reports on the RGB performance of the Phillips 6006, Panasonic PL1 and JVC AV28R25 I'm now wondering if anyone has any experience of the Thomson offerings.
    Thomson prices are pretty keen and I've seen the 28WF25UG (which is the true flat screen variant) for £450+delivery. Both sets include virtual Dolby which I'm not that fussed about but happy to have if it's thrown in for a good price. I'm not even that bothered about a true flat screen (the non-flat 28WR25UG is about £100 cheaper), but my other half seems taken with them due to the reduced reflections. Of course in a shop the reflections are appalling and flat screens impress but I think this can be controlled at home.

Comet sell them on-line but I went in to Comet yesterday and was told they only stock the 100Hz models. I presume (benefit of the doubt here) that the on-line catalog is different to shop stock. I was also told that Thomson use Toshiba tubes, not sure whether that's good, bad or likely to be true.

I'm really interested to know whether the RGB has adjustable contrast/brightness and if there are any annoying quirks on these sets.

Thanks.

2. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Afraid I can't help you at all, but I'm also quite curious about Thomson TVs - in particular the 28DG17UG, which QED have for only £248.06, though admittedly a 28" TV would be a bit too imposing for my small room so I'd probably go for the slightly cheaper 25". From the picture it appears to be fairly close to flat, which suggests that QED have got either the picture wrong, or the curvature isn't evident from the angle used.

I know it's a 4:3 and you're after a 16:9, but I assume the RGB quality will be roughly comparable, so I'd also be very appreciative if anyone could comment on any of the TVs mentioned in this thread.

3. MrSpiggot

MrSpiggot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect you've seen it, but there are more details of the TV you are interested in on the Thomson site. The spec sheets are available in PDF.
    It doesn't appear to be a flat screen model.
    Well, my old TV finally packed up completely and I needed to make a decsion. I didn't buy Thomson in the end as my wife saw one and thought the chassis was too large. I don't mind as I bought a Sony KV28LS35 for £499(no stand) from Krish AV . Very happy with it at the moment, but early days. I'm not convinced that the chassis is much smaller than the Thomson but I'm not going down that logical dead-end ;)

4. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That Sony looks very nice, and if I'm not mistaken (though I probably am) it's at a good price as well. Still a bit more than I'd like to be spending unfortunately.

Thanks for the Thomson site link, I hadn't actually seen it but then I hadn't looked beyond the obvious when trying to work out where it was. I'll have to go and see that TV in Comet, as although it obviously isn't completely flat it still looks fairly close from all the pictures.