1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 28WF45UG Colour impurities

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Arthur Dent, May 25, 2003.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV in question is a widescreen pure flat screen model and was bought in November 2002. From day 1 there has been an intermittent but niggling fault. When the fault shows up there is an area at the top edge of the screen in which colour impurity is evident, particularly in red, orange or flesh tones. A technician was called out to investigate. First thing he did was to degauss the set but admitting that it was unlikely to be caused by magnetic interference. I had previously recorded an orange coloured board with the DVD recorder and I used this as a demo and the fault could clearly be seen on that occasion. The technician came to the conclusion that the problem was caused by "excessive beam current" causing a distortion of the "shadow mask", and this type of fault was inherent in a lot of modern flatscreen TVs, therefore there wasn't much that could be done. Now the question is this. As the fault is intermittent,(several days sometimes elapse before the fault appears), do I live with it and hope the problem goes away eventually ? Or do I "grasp the nettle" and get the store where I bought it to take it away for a bench test, risking a charge if it is a case of "fault not found" ? Any views/opionions/advice would be appreciated. Or in case I've missed a relevant thread, be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks and Regards

2. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same set, bought this year ( a few months ago now). After viewing for a few hours I get a slight colour impurity at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This occurs only in bright red/orange colours (highest beam current) so it suggests, as your technician stated, that it could be down to 'doming' (excessive heat in the shadow mask causing it to distort).

I have started to switch off the TV more often (rather than use standby) and this seems to reduce the occurence of the small stain (~1 square cm, most noticeable on Sky1 red background).
    (ie. degauss more often..)

Other possible options are to turn down contrast and brightness a bit as this would help if high beam current is the cause. This is not an ideal fix as you may not be able to see the picture well afterwards !

As most of the time I don't have large areas of colour in the bottom right hand corner of the screen I'm not too bothered by this intermittent bug, plus given the cost of this TV I'm very happy with the picture !

Martin

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, turning down the contrast was an option the tech mentioned. As the area affected is at the top edge of the screen, it is more noticeable, particularly if images of human faces move into that area, they take on a green tinge. I did actually E-mail Thomson who replied with the following Quote Regarding your reporting, the trouble of colour you've got is not a current trouble and can be solved only by repair. Therefore you must send your TV to the after sales department of your retailer Unquote. But as the fault is intermittent I wouldn't want to get involved in a dispute whether or not I have a faulty set. Also wonder if I am being too "picky" given the cost of the set ?

Regards

John

4. Spunky

Spunky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thomson have a known problem with colour impurities. I owned on about one and a half years ago and it developed a green splodge right in the middle. Had the set for 6 months, took it back and the engy said it WASN'T a fault with the tele. Spoke to thomson who said it was. So i had a go at the engy who rang them and went and put his tail between his legs and ran off. I'd been without the t.v. for a month because their engineers were 'looking' at it. This was one of the major highstreet chains.
    I ended up spending 3 times as much and getting the infamous sony FQ75.........
    I think my model was 25VK28U or somethig along those lines.

Spunky

5. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the problem affects your viewing to the extent that you watch the blemish rather than the program then I would suggest getting it fixed. If Thompson think there's a fault then you would think that it should be fixed under warranty ??

I wouldn't put up with a large green splodge in the middle of the screen either, but I can put up with a small patch in the bottom right hand corner that is not noticeable under normal viewing conditions... It seems from these forums that I could have spent double the money, £900, and still risk buying a TV with niggles..
    I think I'll wait until Plasmas/LCDs become sorted before really splashing out !

Martin