1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 27lcdb03b Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by unklmic, Apr 26, 2004.

1. unklmic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I bought a Thomson 27lcdb03b, and a pioneer E55 DVD recorder. The screen goes haywire when I select progressive scan on the recorder. I have connected the recorder to the TV using component video connectors.

Can the Thomson TV handle progressive scan? I cannot find anything to say yes or no.

Also, I would like to know if anyone who has the Thomson feels the same way about the picture at night time:

During the day, I think the picture looks fantastic, but at night, when it is dark, and when the tv is showing a dark / night scene, the picture is not really that good. The blacks are not black at all?

I have tried to turn down the brightness, but it still does not look ideal.

Thanks in advance.
  2. calscot

Standard Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Milton Keynes
    Most lcd's don't yet have fantastic contrast ratios yet, and are usually quoted as 400-500:1. I wouldn't expect great blacks on any of them as my projector is quoted at 800:1 and I find that just about passable for films.

I'm going to buy an lcd tv anyway but don't expect to use it for films as I'll play those on the pj. I see the lcd tv's as good for everyday, non-critical watching.

I think you need to check out another LCD tv at night before condemning your thomson.

Calibration with Avia or similar would probably help.