1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thomson 27" LCD. Can it be wall mounted?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Messiah, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Looking for a flat screen as a bedroom unit and been mightily impressed by this set in Curry's (of all places :eek: ). At £1449 it seems damn good value but the salesman said it cannot be wall mounted. I saw it has 4 small threaded holes on the back.

Does anyone know if this unit can be wall mounted? Thanks.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Simon. Just been and collected one from my local Curry's for £1400 (bit of haggling). Took a chance on the wall bracket and it does indeed have one in the box.

Thanks again.

3. avnf

avnf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it is wall-mountable then, Messiah??
    What's the story with the promotional code then? Do you have to claim to be an employee or something?
    I'm interested in trying the Thomson, what do you think of it so far Messiah? Thanks, avnf

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Unfortunately it had to go back this evening due to a loud buxzzing from the PSU behind the screen. Didn't get another in case they are all like it. In the shop it had the best image of all the LCD sets there but when I got it home the image via an RF terrestrial feed was awful. Quite glad it was faulty really.

Didn't use a promotional code. Just a good bit of old fashioned bartering :)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Messiah i think you should wait for the Sharp IDTV 30" there are solutions to the tuner box issue!
    I can only say i am releived you returned the unit to currys!
    I have never been impressed by a thomson SET CRT LCD or Plasma
    anvf there is a JVC 26"Superb LCD a little more than the thomson but great!

PS Messiah come and have a look at the JVC IIRC they are in stock. integrated tuner (analogue) and component input. :)

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks hornydragon

I have now decided to definitely wait for those with integrated digital tuner. I'm giving up with analogue feed on an LCD. It's cr$p.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sorry. Didn't answer avnf's question.

Yes, it is wall mountable and comes with the brackets (4 pcs) in the box. Nothing special but would do the job admirably and sit it very close to the wall. Shame more mfrs don't take a leaf out of Thomson's book.

8. avnf

avnf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Messiah. I think I'm moving toward the Samsung LW32A23W. Not perfect styling, but the spec seems to be the best at this price. Does anyone know if it's NTSC compatible? I have many region1 DVDs, and a multi-region player. Would be a shame if they only play in B&W!!
    Thanks avnf

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Don't blame you. The Thomson was very nice but a bit on the cheap side. e.g. The speaker grilles were just stuck on perforated paper (or fine metal) and on my new one it was already peeling off :(

What about the 30" Sharp for £1999 from Sevenoaks?

10. avnf

avnf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only fit a 30" in the space I have for it if the speakers are removable! So no to the Sharp, and the Samsung 32" would fit which is tempting. Just the NTSC question stopping me, can't find out anywhere, I assume it is - most high end tvs are these days?
    Sorry to hear about your Thomson. Regards, avnf

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Don't really understand the integrated IDTV attractiveness, especially from people normally espousing 'separates'.

IDTVs still have a huge premium attached for what I can only see as a marginally more convenient setup.

Surely you can just get a cheap freeview box, whack in a SCART lead, and either leave the LCD switched to the SCART input, or map channel 1 to it?

I must say the Thompson did look good in currys, but then they did seem to be feeding all their TVs via a single DVD player with some kind of RF distribution. The philips I went to look at looked terrible, but I've since seen it in a local store running freeview directly and its *much* better.

Still, I do like the idea of the glass fronted LCDs. Seems to give them a better image quality somehow, and it'd keep my 2 year olds hands away from bursting the screen (is that possible on non-protected screens)?

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, for me it is because the two locations I want them for (kitchen and bedroom) they will be mounted on a plain wall with no where near to sit a freeview box. Therefore an integrated unit would be ideal.

So, if you give your approval :) maybe I can keep looking and hoping :D

13. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't see the problem with the Thomson myself. I'm very pleased with mine - superb picture and so far no probs. State of the one mentioned here. I would question the retailer. I do know thomsons backup is bad if you have problems found that out with a previous plasma.

14. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to somebody on this forum who's three year old had drawn all over their lg 30" - insurance replaced it

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Sorry Messiah, didn't mean anything by it :)

I was just shocked by the price hike on the Sharp with integrated digital tuner.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It is more than just a digital tuner though they have updated the audio and the design

17. fishyuk

fishyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be interested to know if you have tried a PC connection. I'm after an LCD TV to connect to my HTPC (must have DVI) and the Thomson is the first one I have found that it almost affordable. I think that 27" is the minumum size I could go for. Viewlogic should be selling their n2700w over here in Feb so that could be an option.

The scarcity of decent in depth reviews is a big problem!!

Alex

18. sponshagga

sponshagga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the thomson with my PC but only on the d-sub at the moment. It's fine with this. Only shows in 4:3 format but will stretch to 16:9

19. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Anvf,

Went into Sevenoaks today and they showed me how to detach the speakers on the Sharp 30".

Can therefore confirm they will detach.