Thomson 24WT25US "borders!!"

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JohnJm, Mar 22, 2001.

1. JohnJm

JohnJm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Can anyone help me please?? It's probably a reallllllllllly stupid question but I recently bought a Thomson 24WT25US and successfully used the hack to watch region 1 DVDs. Brilliant. But when I watch them there is what I can best describe (I'm sure there is some technical term for them) two black borders top and bottom of the screen. This doesnt happen on region 2 discs so I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of them or if I'm stuck with them???
    Thanks
    Jason

2. Des Horrigan

Des Horrigan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me where you got the hack from as I am considering buying the 28" version.

3. kdodd

kdodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    would you have a copy of the manual for the 24wt25 as i have the 24wt25ug but no manual and am struggling slightly on afew things
    thanks

4. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Do you have a bright white or multiple colored lines in between the upper black bar and the image? If so, your TV is not happy with the 60Hz input (this is probably common). Many manufacturers consider this type of anomaly to be within acceptable range.

It might also be normal, as the movie image doesn't cover the whole active video area but has small black bars above and below (because of the 1.85:1 image fit inside the 1.78:1 picture area).

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Would this be the same kdodd from MS? :)

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Assuming that you aren't watching a 2.35:1 film, the reason your TV is showing black borders might be because is hasn't been configured to display NTSC images properly. NTSC images are 525 lines top to bottom, PAL 625 lines, so the TV isn't stretching the picture to fit. A similar effect can be seen on some VCRs with NTSC playback functions. At a guess, I'd say that the DVD player is converting the NTSC image on the fly producing the effect. To test if it's the TV or the DVD player, hook up another DVD player to an RGB SCART and see if the TV does the same thing with R1 DVDs. If not then you can "solve" your problem by buying another DVD player.... not an ideal solution I know!