1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thompson v Humax

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by braehead, Nov 15, 2004.

1. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Currys yesterday and saw the Freeview+HDD boxed by Humax and Thompson. Both had 40Gb drives but the Thompson was £50 more. Anyone got any experience of either of these. Want to move to freeview soon and fancy having a HDD too. :lease:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The Humax was probably the single tuner version while the Thomson would have two tuners, that would explain the price difference.

There is a higher capacity Humax (out now?) plus a twin tuner model expected soon, also new STB's from Fusion and Panasonic in the very near future.
    It's a minefield out there, you'll find some threads in these forums if you do a basic search also plenty of coverage over at the Digitalspy forum.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I've heard there are reliabaility problems with the thompson but i've never owned either, the humax on the otherhand gets nothing but glowing reviews.

The twin tuner would be good if it works though, alowing you to watch one channel while recording another.

The new humax with dual tuner looks like it could be a good bet, although it will probably be more expensive than both.

4. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the Humax site and the new 9000T isn't going to be out until the middle of next year!

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just picked up the Thompson at the weekend. Have to say (and I know it's sad) i'm just excited by all the things you can do with it! I never fancied the idea of sky so freeview seemed a good bet. Very impressed so far hasn't developed any problems also has the added benefit of optical and digital out so I can run it through an external DAC! The twin tuner is the biggest plus.

6. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Doesn't look bad, but not a digital output in sight! Seems to be the main failing.

8. braehead

braehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll probably go for the Thompson. The digifusion is available online for £170 but I propbably prefer the spec of the Thompson. I've read of a few reliability problems with their stuff but at least I can go back in to Currys and complain!!

9. Stevvie

Stevvie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My father has a Thompson dhd4000 with the twin tuner. He had a duff box that kept loosing recordings and locking up at first. After getting it swapped he has found the Thompson box to be very good.